skipjacks - where to find them?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by southpaw, Jan 6, 2008.

1. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i used to be on the old site but my old computer went down. i am trying to find some old information. what i am looking for is where can i go to find skip jacks/ i live in talladega and i am limited to driving distance because of health issues. i have never used skips but i have heard alot about them. in fact i dont know anybody that uses them where i fish. i am going out on a limb here but if you can help me please contact me via PM

2. Coosa_Cat_Man

Coosa_Cat_Man New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I catch all my skipjack on either the Tennessee below Wheeler Dam and Sipsy River below Smith Lake Dam. I live in Riverside AL I have never caught a skipjack from the Coosa River, but I usually fish the main river system, you may be able to find them in deep feeder creeks along the Coosa, I would like to also know if there is any particular place to go and catch them on the Coosa, I have used skipjack shad on the Sipsey and below Wheeler Dam and they work great I got a 38# blue off a strip of cut skipjack. I have caught several decent cats off skipjack on the Sipsey River. My mother still live near the Sipsey River and I go and visit her about once a month I plan to stock up on skipjack the spring/summer so I can hook you up with some if you are unable to find any near the Coosa River. It is nothing to catch 100-150 skipjack on the Sipsey River in 3-4 hours time when they are running hard. I will keep you posted as to when I start catching them and hook you up. I am also anxious to try them on the Coosa River, I just moved here in late Oct. of last year so I was unable to get any skipjack before I moved. Anyway keep in touch via PM if you want to contact me or hook up somewhere and fish ect....

3. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    Southpaw you are in luck. If you wait till spring you can catch skippies at lake jordan. The best and closest place for you to catch them is below Walter Bouldin dam (Jordan Lake has 2 dams). Its alot of steps to walk,but you should be able to get. I will pm you with the details

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Any suggestions on the best way to catch them there. I am close and gonna give it a try.

mike

5. monk

monk New Member

State:
    south carolina
    are there any skipjacks close to sc?