Skipjacks now?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by 5511, Dec 15, 2009.

1. 5511

5511 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was on a business trip to Florida last week and bought some sabiki rigs. Can you catch skips below Webbers this time of year?

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nope too cold wait until Spring and the weather warms up and they will be there all summer. Catch them then and freeze them for winter.

3. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    do they freeze better than shad?

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYYYYEEEEAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
    I have been corrected. The skippies can still be caught below L&D 16 at Webbers Falls during the winter probably during the heat of the day. I thought that they left the lock during the winter but I apparently not.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    They do for me. I vacuum seal them. I'm out of them now I messed around and didn't get enough. I am going to try to get some below Ft Gibson when they turn the water off. A lot of times you can get them on minnows.

6. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    From what I understand you can drive to the nuke plant in Russelville,Ar and catch them during the winter.And they do freeze and keep real well.Thats what I do.

7. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    As of today, the info we are getting over here, is the skips aren't at Russellville yet, but it could be any day.
    Check the Arkansas posts. There is has been a running post about the status of the skipjacks there. I am sure it will be announced when they show up.

8. Silvercreek

Silvercreek New Member

State:
    Kansas, Marion Reservoir
    If anyone has any photo's of skipjacks, would they be so kind and post one. Don't know if I have ever seen one. Thanks.

9. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    A nick name for them here is Tennessee Tarpon, they look like a tarpon of coarse alot smaller and while you are reeling them in they jump just like one also.

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    To catch skippies I tie on a sabiki rig with a 1/4 oz sinker. Cast as far as I can and then crank like heck to keep the rig almost on top of the water and they slam it.