Skipjacks near St Louis

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mjbaseball2005, May 1, 2008.

1. mjbaseball2005

mjbaseball2005 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When and where are the best places to catch skipjack around St Louis, or are they not in the area in good numbers? (Winfield L&D, Mel Price L&D, Chain of Rocks, or Mississippi and Missiouri Wing dikes) are any of these places good ones?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yes!

Oh, welcome to The Brotherhood of Catfishermen, (BOC). Only thing nicer than seeing a fellow Missourian, is seeing a fellow, ah, hmmmmm, would we call ourselves Arnoldites? No, wait, I bet it's Arnoldolians. Yeah, that is a bit better.

On the Skipjack, their are plenty of local folks who know far more than me on where to find them. I used to go on the Ill side of Chain of Rocks and the spoonbill snaggers would give me all I could use. Now that they don't allow snagging there, not sure where to go. I guess I could go the hard way and actually get the Sabiki rods out and go catch them myself. Man, what a guy has to do to find bait. LOL

In case your interested, with so many local folks here on the BOC, we formed I guess you would call, a splinter group called the Gateway Cats Club. You can find us on the main catfish1.com Forum page. Scroll down to "Partners in Catfishing" and you will find us listed there. It's a great group of locals who get together a lot and fish, eat, or just hang out. A lot of local info can be gained from those folks as year round, there seems to be someone fishing almost every day in this area.

Perhaps it's called a splinter group cause we like being a thorn in each others sides, LOL.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Mike… As Tom said there are skipjack through out the river system here, just aren’t concentrated yet but starting the end of May they’re numbers tend to pick up below chain of rocks and Alton dam. Some days can be awesome for numbers then. With the water dropping now, keep an eye out for the white water spots over the top of wing dikes, toss a jig there and you’ll either pick up skippies or white bass right now… either way it’s a hoot, just can’t use the white bass (game fish) for bait. Enjoy the BOC, a lot of great information and folks who contribute to make it happen.

4. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Mooneye work real well in the spring you can get them behind barges with a big throw net.Something to use till the skippies show up in full force.:big_smile:

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'll second that! Mooneye work great!:big_smile::smile2:

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Errrrrrr.........yeah, what they said!!! Those SkipEyes work REAL GOOD!:smile2: