Skipjacks in White River at Batesville?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by treemydog, Feb 20, 2009.

1. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    I saw the post below on a crappie fishing forum today:

"There are a ton of skipjacks below the dam at Batesville. I think there are a lot of shad as well, but I can't say for sure."

Just wondering if anyone can confirm?

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I will be going thru Batesville Sunday afternoon and will have a rod rigged up to try to catch a skip or two. I also have my shad net with me and will throw to see what I come up with.
    I used to snag about 1/4 mile below the dam there around 1990 and would catch skips on jigs all the time.
    I hope I can locate them.
    I fished below Murray in Little Rock today for a while and never saw a skipjack all day. The shad were there, but not close to the bank.
    ccat

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks a bunch I will be up there Monday

4. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Saw another post on the crappie site from a guy I trust saying there are definitely skipjacks at the dam at Batesville

5. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Preacher, I hope your wrist is doing much better and wish you good luck. My wrist started hurting for you when I read about your accident.

6. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I was at Batesville Friday with three doz. minnows in case things were slow going for skips. Well 4hrs later no skips, 3 smallmouth, 2 brown trout, and 1 walleye 2 lb. I fished minnows on bottom , mid- depth, and in the boils. Threw jigs and small spoons with no luck. The water was really high and knew better than to push it. But the ice and limb cleanup had me craving some skip action to the point of buying minnows!:embarassed: One 120 mile round trip shot. :eek:oooh:They may be there, but the water level is critical factor. Will keep you posted as I will try again in a week. I fish from the bank.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    how do you get to the dam.

8. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I did fish the dam today (Sunday 2-22) at Batesville. I didn't catch a single skipjack, nor did I see any shad. The river was really rolling. I fished on the north side at the ramp by "lake Lotta-hocky" (sewer treatment plant ponds) and then fished below the dam on the south side. I did catch a nice rainbow of about 15 inches. There was just too much water there I think. I talked to a fellow who was there fishing for walleye, but said he hadn't seen any skips there for the past few days.
    I will try it out in a few weeks from now.
    If anyone finds them there, or anywhere for that matter, please let us know.
    good luck.
    ccat

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I went today and got one nce skippie fisfing the south side but that river is way to high Jonnie the dam is to the right after comeing down a high hill on hwy 67 Oh yea guys the wrist is healing but still sore sore

10. Jester2012

Jester2012 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The hill is called Ramsey Mountain but once you come down past the Welcome to Batesville home of mark martin sign, turn right just before the second bridge next to a small gocart shack. I grew up fishing that river lol, about half way down the sandbar we would snag skip jack while snaggin for spoonbill.

11. Jester2012

Jester2012 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sorry about the double post but if you make a left next to the old white Reno's building, the Ramsey Slough is just behind it. We plan to go boating out there a few days after March 14th (the 15th is my birthday so get to fish for 3 days lol). Anyway, the slough used to be extremely productive in crappie, bass, bream, and cats. I'm not sure how it is now since I haven't fished it in about a year but the river drains into it during rainy season so it should be productive. Be sure to lock your vehicle up there and over at the river dam because of alot of punks.