Skipjacks in the Vermilion river in danville!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by psychomekanik, Jul 3, 2009.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went to a buddy's house last night and him and his son was telling me about some wierd looking fish that they were catching on jigs at a dam on our river here. He said some guy on the bank told him it was a skipjack herring. I told him the guy was full of shit. They've never been here. He described thier jaw structure and how they are acrobats when hooked. I thought it sounded like a skipjack, but I still seriously doubted it. He talked me into climbing the almost vertical cliff to get down there and check it out. His son went down there and hooked one in no time. I'll be damned. It was a skipjack. I can't believe it. I'm kinda stoked. If they're here it hopefully wont be long before there are a few nice blues here also. No more driving 3-4 hours to catch them. They're in my backyard now! It's been a wierd year. I've heard several complaints about not being able to find shad in our lake. I was creek fishing for bait and before I left I thought I'd throw a net a few times. Every time it was heavy with shad. And, I've never seen shad in this creek. But thats where they're at. They're backed up in the creeks I guess because of the abnormally high levels of rainfall we've had this year. It makes sense about the skipjack when you think about that though. I wonder what else is new to our rivers now too? I can bet the asian carp are gonna be thick before you know it also.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark you are blessed to have that quality bait in your back yard. You better be filling the freezer with the skipjack.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would of never guessed there would be skipjacks there. Always used shad and shiners when I lived there.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went down there tonight. I caught a 1 gallon size freezer bag of them. My buddy said they were'nt biting near as good as they were the day before.

5. joeenumberz

joeenumberz New Member

State:
    illinois
    how do you get down to the dam in danville