Skipjacks in Alabama

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Catman21, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Catman21

Catman21 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I live just south of B'ham. Where is the best place to catch skipjacks. And how do I target theese guys. I know this is the bait I need. Can you catch them with a cast net?

Looking forward to replies!

Thanx Mike.

2. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    You should be able to catch them below any dam...I catch them below guntersville dam on crappie jigs but you can catch them in a cast net if you get close enough...hope this helps...

3. Catman21

Catman21 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Appreciate the info!

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I USE THREE JIG TIED ON AT A TIME ABOUT 6" APART ,ONE EA. WHITE,YELLOW,AND CHARTRUCE ARE YOU COLOR OF YOUR CHOICE

HOPE THIS HELPS:smile2:

5. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    white or pearl pepper grub, or a white or chrome rooster tail, they will try to eat most anything flashy.

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I haven't been able to find any yet myself. Caught some decent size shad at the dam, but no sign of any skipjack. I gotta get my hands on some somewhere...

7. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You can head down to Montgomery - down in Wetumpka, below the Bouldin dam, caught some in there with net and rod and reel, just no great numbers.

I posted a post earlier about Smith Dam - according to Bama DNR the best skipjack hatchery in Bama is below Smith Dam. I haven't been there and was asking if anyone ever had. I usually catch mine up on the TN river by the dams and if you are brave enough to throw your net around all those rocks you could murder them up there. But I catch all mine by rod and reel - almost funner than chasing big cats, especially when you get 5 or 6 on the same line at once!