SkipJacks/flamekeeper's First trip.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Flamekeeper, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Dave (Skip Jack)got hold of me around lunch time and asked if I wanted to hit the water, Sure I said if you think the waters OK. Met him around 3:30pm and we headed out got to the ramp at Westport and put in. Set out for bait, first pace didn't produce, so we had to run down river to another spot and I finally hooked up with a net full of small 4-5" shad, with a couple little Skippie's mixed in. Then Dave took over and with a couple casts of the net Dave pulled out the mother load of 7-8" shad.:cool2:

Then we was off for the cats.Soon we was setting in 34' and marking fish on the screen and then set anchor. man I thought the 9-10 Gama's were a big hook , Dave pulled out some kales that would have brought JAWS to the boat:eek:oooh:. One big HOOK Bros.:big_smile: Dave showed me how to get rigged up for the river and it was on, cut the shad into 3rds baited up and waited, It wasn't long before his pole took a small bounce and then down she went, soon after a small flathead was in the boat.#1. for Dave.

A little while later another down and #2 was in the boat for Dave.:crazy: I was saying come on Big Boy take her down:smile2:I wanted a fish, man them dudes didn't like the looks of my bait, did have a couple smacks , but no takers. The bite slowed to nothing for awhile and we decided to up river.

We marked a HERD of fish with some good ones mixed in, so we got set up in some 27-30' I think, and slung -em out..Wouldn't you know it, That same old rod that went down the first time went, Dave pick it up and the fish pulled a little as I was watching and he set the hook and the rod just doubled, You knew it was a good one by the looks of the rod. It took a Little and Dave had #3 in the boat a nice Blue around 20ish pretty fish. :roll_eyes::confused2:

Man he was beating up on me Bad, I had a hit on a whole 7" shad and at first it felt real good then it just went weightless.:sad2: Just about my luck:smile2:.

I was still saying , come on Big Boy:wink: I just patiently waited for big bite, nothing, time was winding down and guess what :eek:oooh: That same Ole rod went down again, Bros I was cracking up, I couldn't believe it Laughing as I stood to help and another rod went down and I grabbed it and I thought we was going to have a double and Dave's Fish spit it out, But I finally got a pretty nice blue in the boat. Bros I had a smile on my face as big as this :big_smile::smile2: Thanks to Dave, I had a great trip on the water, the first in about 15yrs. I had a great time fishing with Dave and hope to have many more.

I have 5 pic's, so 2 more will come right after this post.

Attached Files:

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres the Blues, Bros :smile2: :cool2:

Attached Files:

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for sharing that story. Where were you fishing?

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    The river was choppy, and the air temp. was 90, but we had a great time and we managed to put a few fish in the boat. Its always fun to fish with a brother who enjoys it as much as you do. I look forward to doing it again.

Andrew, we were fishing on the Ohio river.

Paul, thanks for the opportunity to hook up and fish with guys like Kenny!

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats guys. Kenny ya don't think the problem is using those beautiful custom rods do ya.:wink: Even a fish knows they're too nice to actually use.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Glad ya'll managed to get out, endure the heat and catch a few fish. The first pic shows just how big of hook your talkin about. :crazy:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Sounds to me like u 2 had a good time spending time together an catching some fish ,wat to go guys :cool2:

7. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Hey Kenny;Thats river fishin for ya, one guy gets 3 or 4 right off the bat, and you dont think your ever going to get bit! But at least ya got one and got out there and enjoyed yourself! Thanks for the pics bro!:big_smile:

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    John, It couldn't been that, They are all slicked up with dried up slime/sweat LOL, and them buggers were on the bottom:smile2:. But them BIG BOYS will be coming soon enough.

But I think I figured it out though!, Dave kept cutting up the little shads that were dieing and was chumming off the outside (deeper water) and it was leaving a scent trail out behind the boat. (I did mention JAWS didn't I.:smile2:) But wouldn't you know it, that where he was set-up at hmmmm.

Smart man Dave is :smile2::smile2: He did offer me a chance to get back there, But I stayed put. I figure that Big Boy would come along sooner or later. :wink:The one that hit the whole shad, might have gotten stuck if it wasn't for the shad coming down on the hook and covering the barb leaving nothing exposed. :angry: I believe it was my fought on that one:eek:oooh:.

It brought back a lot of good memories of fishing with my dad out on the Big lakes and just how much I missed fishing from the boat, man its nice setting out there talking and fishing with a friend that shares the same passion you have, and taking in all of nature, Heck we even had a Bald Eagle fly overhead just before sunset, that was pretty neat,and the first one I've ever seen around here.

Needless to say we had a great time. Thanks again Dave, Kenny.

9. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    hey kenny glad you got to go i did some bank fishin late last nite at westport and caught to 3 ponders one was a flat the other a channel had a good run on a 5inch gill but missed him.i also saw my first bald eagle ever a couple weekends ago down on the river by my grandparents in westport while i was on the boat.they are neat and big to.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys for sharing your fishing trip and pics. Sounds like a great time.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hopefully he won't mind sharing this but i seen MJ pinch off a small piece of plastic worm and stick the hook thru it to keep the barb exposed.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Nice fish guys sounds like a great time,nothing like getting out fishing with a good buddy.

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Congrats on a good outing guys.:wink: That's what it's all about.

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    We hit it again today. got on the water around 7am??.(Westport) went down river and got some bait.(Shad) Man for those who cannot throw the cast net:embarassed: don't feel lonely,I bought a 5'ter Wednesday I stood in my yard on a retaining wall and threw the dang thing out a thousand times,(about 4hrs)only got it to open twice..The wife thought I had raked the yard of all the leaves since they were all piled up in one spot!:smile2::smile2:.

Well you will not believe what I was doing wrong? I was tieing the line to the wrong wrist and the net was catching the rope on the cast resulting in a semi-closed net. I seen Dave throw his and it opened fine and noticed on the second or third cast that he had it tied off on his net hand, and mentioned it and he told me to do the same,wouldn't you know it! Opened up like a dinner plate:smile2: We casted until we had a live well full 3 good nets is all it took:cool2:.

The wind had a chop on the water. so we had to hunt for some smoother water, because setting up in this was no good(boat moving around to much). We did mark some fish and set-up on them for a hour or so, Never had a good bounce--NO COOPERATION FROM THE FISH'S:angry: Them suckers had lockjaw:sad2:.Had the bait right in front of their noses. nothing!!. The wind got us moving around so much we had to move.

Went up river ( which had 2-3' white-capped swells) CHOP-CHOP wasn't the word:eek:oooh:. We setup on some barges out of the wind and ended up with a 1 1/2lb flathead and that was it until about 1pm or so and we called it a day and headed in. No big numbers OR monsters YET! , But they are in the forecast for a future trip.:cool2:

All in all, I had a great time, I learned how to cast that dang net:big_smile:, caught 1 small flathead:wink:, got a red face from the wind and spent the day with one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet...:wink:

Thanks again Dave,, Well get them hogs soon enough, until then Bro!

Kenny

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Sorry about the late update Guys..

Dave and I put in last Fri, and went and caught some S&S for bait and hit the river, first spot we thought looked real good ,marked some fish and setup.. Gars were everywhere!!:angry: Man I was rinseing off my hands after cutting up some bait, pulling my hand from the water a 3' gar leaped up out of the water mouth wide open for my hand!!:eek:oooh: Bro's you talking about somebody jerking his hand back and saying YOU SEE THAT?:crazy:

That could have been real bad, Dave said it would have cut me good! If he got my hand. I just asked him if he had some of that 200mph duct tape. That would take care of it:smile2::smile2:.

I got one 5-6# Channel off that spot before we let the gars have it.

Went back down river and Dave finaly hooked up with a small flathead:wink:, after a hour or so we decided to change areas again with no luck. The rains came so we called it a day.

This past Fri, We went over below the falls and Dave netted us some shad and we put in and fish uncharted waters for Dave in the boat so we took everything nice and slow since the water was down so low!.

I dropped anchor and it hung into the rock in the fast current behind the hydro, it run through my fingers so fast all I could do is try to hold on,not to lose the anchor. But it burned me pretty good and Dave caught up with it with the boat before we lost it(another 10')maybe. We fished till about 3 or so ..

Well I might as well say it, we got skunked that trip:smile2::smile2::smile2:. Nothing.. :sad2: It ain't because we ain't trying either, because we are throwing it all at-em. But They will come. :wink:I can Gaurantee we will not stop trying:cool2:

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    kenny i told ya you wasnt holding your mouth right bro. lol. youll get them next time.