Skipjacks at Alton?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catmankev, Feb 26, 2006.

1. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Anyone know the best time and conditions to catch skipjacks at Alton? Any help would be appreciated!:0a35:

2. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    i fish for skips below chain of rocks dam i have never tried at alton, i havent been out yet this year but will most likely go next sunday, i may even try alton, ill let you know how i do.... tim

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I would say mid march thru april. That is just a guess. Cletus said that they run the best below barkley and kentucky dam in mid april. So if you adjust for here it should be simialir. Hope this helps.

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    We catch a hell of lot of skipjacks at chain of rocks during early spring whle fishing for white bass. I guess they will still be there but the river is so low and it dosn/t look like it/s comming up.

I have seen them catch them at alton too. Go all the way up by the the wall and try there. If you got a boat you can go yo that power plant down the river.

We will be going out the first warm week end. If any of you local guys wanna go on a nice boat let me know. we got room for 1 maybe 2 more.

We, my sisters kid and I, just got he boat last year and dind/t do very well. We would like to meet some one with experience to give us a few pointers. We go on the mo and miss.

5. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    patrick...are you talking about the plant downstream from the dam at Alton on the IL side? Always got a bunch of shad there, but never thought about casting for skips. Sounds good...thanks

6. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Went to Barkley and Kentucky dames last saturday from 8am to 3pm. Caught nothing! Blue herrin were do'n better than anyone there. About 20 guys snagg'n off and on, nothing caught. Water way too cold. Best wait till warmer rains come.

7. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    anyone catching any skipjacks yet?????
    Bondman

8. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Hi bondman, I think I will go down by the low water damn toroww and try to catch some skip jacks. I will let you know if they are there yet.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Patrick yea let us know. I fish that stretch of water pretty religiously and have never fished for skippies. I have fished for herring and done good but not skips. Have caught them in nets sometimes but not really good. I would be interested in any tips for getting more skips! Maybe we can meet up and fish sometime.

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The recent rains have raised the river levels. I seen in the paper the other day that it was up to 7.5ft. I would think that when the weather stays warm 50s plus for a week or two the skippies would start to bite. I would guess by mid to late april they will be tearing it up.

11. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    patrick let us know how you did with the skips i live about 4 miles from chain of rocks and usually dont fish for skips untill april,,, tim

12. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I went down to the low water damn near granite city yesterday morning. I figured I would do a little white bass fishing but I was mainly there to try to catch some skip jacks. I got out of my car the wind was blowing my ears got cold and I got back in my car and went home.

I waited till two in the after noon and went back with a shad net. I could not catch one shad. A couple of the guys said they had snagged a few . I will go back later today and see if I can get some bait. I/m soppossed to go to the alton tourny tomorrow so I really need bait.

My fishing partner is starting to hint he may not go as it/s going to be too cold in the morning:sad: :sad:

13. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    I like the trip to KY. dames and we did catch some skips, about 150. Heck of a long way to go for skips" 3 1/2 hrs" . 15 1/2 " average. So the conservation officer said. But nice time anyway. No body catch'n any spoonies yet. We did sell some of the skips
    for a $1 a piece to some local commercial fisherman. They didn't have the time to have fun. They said it was the worst yr in 6 yrs. It paid for our lunch anyway. Came home with 2 and 1/2 cooler's full.
    We'll try again in aonther month. After it warms up a bit.
    Is Alton Dam as good at Skipjack?

14. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom, hey I am heading to Kentucky Lake later in the week for a little vacation with some buddies. Where and how did you catch the skips? I would really love to stock up on some and need to know whats goin on to get them. Thanks a lot man!

15. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Rob. Check out the thread about the uncle scifi breakfast on the 9th of april.

The best place for skippies is below the dam of barkley on the east side. We caught them there last year. use jigs with shite bodies. they seem to work good for me.

16. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Rob, on the tenn. dame go down the looooooong stair way and there is a cement circular mooring about 35 foot wide with hand rails toward you ( usualy underwater), Go to your right under the hand rail and set your butt down there. You'll be on the down side of the mooring ( or dock) don't worry about the rails you can't see, your jig will drift over and down to where the skips are ( their hot spot ). Cast up stream about 15 to 25 foot with a 1/4 oz or 1/8 oz lime green jig head with a blue body and white skirt or currly (twister) tail. You'll have to find the real in speed. We realed in slow and hit em cause it was still cold, if you get warm water move up toward the dam. For us they moved in and out. Did alot of casting but paid off for us in the long run. GOOD LUCK!
    For Barkley dam try up and down the walk way. I used 1/4 oz jig with red body and white tail, caught 15. Caught 8 on lime green heads with translucent lime sparkle twister tails. Sometimes a white head and skirt works here, usually with warmer water.
    Don't know why red works at Barkley and blue works at Tenn. Ya just never know!

17. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    I did get this from theTVA guy down there, check this out as he said it's up dated 3 to 5 time's aweek( www.tva,com/river ). Might give you some info as to whats being caught and whats happing on the dams.

18. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rob.. Tie three of them on your line about a foot and a half apart. I normally run white, red, white. So use the other colors that Thomas was talking about and let us know how it works.. Good luck.. Vince

19. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    How'd ya do on the lake? Did you get something?