Skipjacks are in the Osage River!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've heard people say several times before that they have caught skipjack herring in the Osage and I always thought they had mistaken goldeyes/mooneyes for them. Well I went fishing this morning for hybrids/whites on the lower Osage and we caught give skipjack. At first I couldn't believe it, but there's nothing else that looks like a miniature tarpon that I could think of. I'm very familiar with gold eye and moon eyes and their teeth, but you could lip these just like a bass.

Also, we caught them on crankbaits. My buddy caught one that probably weighed 4 pounds. It was huge!

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm assuming you kept them didn't you? I would love to see a picture of that 4 pounder!!

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i would say a 4 pounder is a record!!!:wink:

4. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for the report Seth, sounds just like em and they fight better than any fish their size… I wouldn’t want to lip hold em because of the teeth, been there done that… biggest one I caught was 2 ½ lb up below Quincy on a large crappie jig tipped with a shiner… jumped out of the water twice and looked just like a miniature tarpon. What type of structure did ya find it on? Have never checked to see if we even have a record of size for them, if we do then I would think you ought to have a new state record. Coming late spring would be a good time to check out below the dam and see if any concentration might be there.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
  6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    skipjack teeth arent that bad .. its the darn mooneye that look like gators!!! :smile2:

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri

Bill, was talking with Eric and Griz at last years Sci Fi… Griz pulled some out better than 3 lb but hasn’t paid attention if any were record fish… :eek:oooh: That’s a true catfisherman, to him it’s just bait :smile2:

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I 2nd that, I will love to see that

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lots of bait !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    4 lb skipjack? In the Osage river?

I'm from Missouri.

Show me.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Are you kidding me? I swear I'm not pulling your legs. The looked identical to the pics in that link bill posted. The guy I fished with said that was the biggest one he'd ever caught today. All the others were probably around a pound.

We will make some more trips up there this week and I will take a picture next time to show you all I'm not crazy. Are there any other fish that would closely resemble a skipjack that I could possibly have mistaken it for?

You guys mentioned skipjack having teeth. We lipped them like a bass and didn't see any teeth.

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's correct...skipjack herring do not have teeth.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Seth what are you doing out catching those sardines, you should be deer hunting....:wink:

Were you below bagnell or farther down? I never use the dam things anyway, they wont bite on them here.

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Just another image of skipjack vs mooneye.......

[​IMG]

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

Yea it's definitely the skipjack. The guy that took me is going Tuesday and I'm for sure going again Thursday and possibly Wednesday too. I promise to bring the digital camera next time and snap some pictures. We were fishing out of the Mari Osa access by Jefferson City.

I took off all week to deer hunt and hunted 6-8 hours everyday since rifle opened and only seen four deer, but never got any decent shots. It was absolutely dead around here. Dad got a nice buck and a doe, but that's been it. He just got lucky though because nobody we knew seen much this year compared to other years.

It wasn't hard to convince me to go fishing today instead of go deer hunting. :smile2:

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats and thanks for sharing, this is very valuable info

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Seth, There is definitely a low density population of skipjack in the Missouri and Osage Rivers. You already know that of course, lol. I've heard of a couple turning up in castnets around here, and MDC has tracked their occurrence in counties along the Osage and even as far as the Missouri - Nebraska state line on the Missouri. But yours is the first report I've heard of a targetable population. Maybe this years high water induced a bunch of them to swim up this way? Hopefully they got chased up here by a bunch of big blue cats.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Gary you may have something there with the high water...I did notice ALOT more in the Alton area this year as well. :confused2: After all, the asians got introduced to our river systems as a result of high water! :angry:

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Yea it's definitely a small population. My buddy said he usually catches a couple every trip. It's nothing like you see on the tv shows when they are in Tennessee catching them two at a time.

I am pretty sure that earlier this summer I had a skipjack chase my minnow up to the boat below Bagnell Dam. It was a big shad, but didn't look anything like a gold/mooneye. This was the first year I've seen them up there too.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I noticed that the state record skipjack came from the Osage, 1lb 11oz by Roger Gerloff in 2005. Sounds like you had that beat?

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/69.pdf (Look on page 4, under Herring, Skipjack)