Skipjacks are a blast two catch

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 28, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fished for skippys for the first time today, what a blast they are to catch..Fished with fellow brother pendog we each caught 19 skips, got a lot of bait in the freezer now!

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Flathunter I know what you mean. I have had the chance to catch skippies on several occassions. They sure put up a great fight. When they are biting real good you can almost forget about catfishing . For awhile that is.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    looks like you guys were at aberdeen....true?

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it was a lot of fun, but i have to admit i was worried there for alittle while when i hadnt had a bite since 6:15 and Jack was showing up at 7:30

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Jack, Im glad you got into them, they are a blast on light tackle and then to keep them for catfishing later, what a great concept!!
    My main bluegill pond I fish for bait is loaded with 8.5-10" bluegills and I have more fun catching bait then I do sitting on those pointed rocks along the GMR. :p

We will need to get together sometime this spring, Your home waters or mine, I still have a few spots that not even the Mellon or the Dawg know about ;)
    Perhaps we can do a float in my drift boat, its a neat ride with comfy seats!! Holds 1000 lbs so there is plenty of room for 3.Complete with drink holders

I dont suppose your cats rods got any nibbles while you were there did it?
    Im headed back down on Monday I think to the same spot with my fly fishing buddies, there a blast on the fly rod

Glad your adventure with Pendog was better tehn your last one with Mellon, ha ha

I assume your gonna get out on the Scioto here in the next few days, I hope to hear all about some nice channels!

Salmonid (Mark)

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant believe my pal, Flathunter broke his own picture posting rule. A blind man could tell where those fish were caught! :grin-big:

I'm glad you guys got into some, but where were the bigones? I'll have to post the pics of the two 2#'s Mark & I caught.

Way to go guys. Now I really hope to catch fish on these. Last year Skips were not the go to bait.

Dink, I have plenty, if you want some, just hollar.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, If you can put your drift boat in, I should be able to put my boat in. We could all 4 have an outing. :rock-big:

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mellon i'll trade you some shad, i have a spot where i can get tons of shad in all sizes, even during the winter. heard skips dont freeze really well?

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Now, you have become an honoray member or the Arkansas bait catchers club! :D You are hooked now our motto is catching bait is fun also!! :D

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey Mellon, ship me some!!!

Anyone know where I could get into some skips in north eastern oklahoma?

Oh, and I couldn't tell where the pics were taken.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    a fishing gallery in the making??? it looks like me and bryan will be joining you on monday Mark. Still got to get the ok here but i dont see any problems. But we must get a catfish this time. But another 40 or 50 skips will do just fine too. ;)

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had excellent results freezing skipjacks; very poor results freezing shad. I think it's because the skipjack are much oilier than the shad.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink, I have had much better luck freezing skips than shad.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark I look forward to a springtime trip..No Go on the scioto right now, the recent rains have it way up..And no bites on the cat rods.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, I look for a great fishing season this year. We will have some sort of Jon so we can hit the holes we want, we will be hitting the Ohio for the big ones, the GMR, Paint Creek......

I'm just wondering, if it's going to be too hard on an "Oldtime Catter" as yourself :know-big:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This oldtime catter can still out walk a mellonhead :D

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    True...... BUT I can outlast ya in a canoe! (speaing of.... I just relived your Canoe purchase on a diff thread) :0a33:

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What the heck, since we're posting pics..... The pic turned out real bad. But Mark & I figured these were 2#+ each. Pendog will vouch for it, the pic doesnt do them justice. For real..... I'm not lying...... Stop Making Fun of Me...... :D

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If those weighed 2# I have been catching world record skipjack all along, LOL!!!

20. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Did you weigh those skips? They dont look that big.