Skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Can anyone tell me where is the closest place to KC that you can catch Skipjack in numbers? Do they make any kind of a fall run? I keep hearing about them and would like to have afew on hand. Would be glad to catch a few extra for the person that can help me out.

2. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    the closest place you;ll find skippies in numbers is alton dam in st.louis.anynumber of lock and damson the missisippi. after that kydam is your best bet.check the skipjack thread or go the kentucky sight and ask those guys

3. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I hate to say it but just go down to minnesota bait and tackle and buy you some.They have some nice sized skipjack:smile2:

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
  5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    No There Frozen And Like 8.00 Each.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I'm taken a two day trip this spring to KY or TN to go skip jack fishing.Big cooler stuffed full sounds good to me. Gas price:angry: to bait price:angry: I think it will be well worth the trip.:wink:

7. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Well being out of work I don't think I want to try them bad enough to pay that kind of money. Even with gas prices what they are I was thinking that it might be worth a little weekend road trip if anyone knew where to find them short of Tn. or Ky.
    Maybe even sell a few when I got back.... special price of $7.85 each with coupon.

Thanks for the info GT. buy 2 get one free just for you :wink:

Think I will just stick to shad for now and maybe try to plan a trip to stock up on then in the spring like Chris said.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    There is an effect that you should know about skippys or goldeneyes as bait.
    Cats know what is in their own waters and tend to shy away from anything
    they have not seen swimming in their waters. Hence, goldeneye will work
    quite well at Milford but it would not work well in a Kentucky lake that had
    skipjack herring in it. So the time to get skippys is when you are heading to
    a lake with skippys in it. Around here the most common baitfish is sunfish
    followed closely by gizzard shad. There's a lot to be said for a casting net
    since that way you are certain to get bait Mr. Whiskers has an intimate
    relationship and great familiarity with. Like the trout guys say "Match the
    Hatch". As for the effectiveness of chicken livers, I got nothin'. They work.

9. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    good point Micheal. But I would still like to try them.

10. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    they are 6 dollars and depending on the number of guys and poles they can last a long time.Two of us used three of them for three seperate trips with 2 guys fishing.18 dollars or 200 for truck gas,100 for boat gas,shelter,food etc...:confused2: I will stay local,but I would love to do it just can't afford it. good luck. let us know how it goes

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Just load a truck up with about 2 or 3 chest freezers, a couple of generators and go fishing for skippies. If you load up your freezers you should be able to make enough from selling them when you get back to pay for your gas,a and hotel. You probably have to get a commercial license though.