1. backyardbeagler

backyardbeagler New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have been wanting to try these for bait and have no idea how to catch them, could someone tell me how? Also are they a good bait for channel cats. Liver is working great but its so hard to keep on the hook seems like all you're doing is re-baiting.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While I've heard reports of people catching them in calm water, the only place I've been able to catch them is in fast water. Good places for me have been: below a powerhouse; below a dam; cooling water outlet at a powerplant; off the ends of rock dikes; notches in rock dikes where the water is pouring through. Shiny spoons and small shadlike lures will definitely catch skipjack, but that's an expensive way to go. Most of us use either a sabiki rig or a couple of crappie jigs tied in tandem. Which to use is mostly a matter of preference. Be prepared to discover that catching this bait is almost as much fun as catching catfish. It's definitely great for taking the kids fishing...nonstop action when they're really hitting.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people. The skips are best caught in fast water! I would agree with the Sabiki rig or the series of lead head jigs............green or white is what I use.