skipjack

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dieselcat, Jun 27, 2008.

1. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Just curiouse, What is the best way to keep the skips after you catch a bunch for later use?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I vacuum seal mine and freeze them. They stay just as good as the day you put them in there!!!

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    thanks dread,kinds figured that but wanted to make sure. What kinda areas do you find skips in and how do you catch them?

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I generaly find them in fast water in current breaks by the dams around here. I use 3 1/8oz jigheads with white curly tail grubs on them. I tie them about a foot apart in succesion to my mainline. Sometimes they will hit a fast retrieve and sometimes a slow one. sometimes you will have to let it sink down for a bit before you start your retrieve. You just have to play it by ear and see what works.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Put them on ice with a little water as soon as you catch them. At the first possible chance, vaccum seal them. Spoon a little bit of that "juice" in there with them to keep them good and moist.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Shane! Vacuum sealing is definitely the way to go if you have the equipment, but if you don't, you can wrap them in plastic wrap to keep out the air, which is what causes freezer burn. The sticky kind of plastic wrap might be even better. Due to lack of freezer space, I haven't tried freezing them in water. that works great for catfish fillets, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would work as well on skippies.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have found that, if you let the water from the ice get on them before you freeze them, they tend to be soggy and this is a big problem.
    I prevent this by puting a large leaf or garbage bag in the cooler and drop them in it as I catch them. You put the ice on the outside of the bag and the water doesn't get on them.

8. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i catch them around dams. i use a medium white rig.