Skipjack

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Ulikedew, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Was catching skip jack real good.Was a get out of the house day.

S6300587.jpg

S6300589.jpg

S6300595.jpg

2. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    me and crazyjet when to ohio river this weekend and i caught big skip in no time. good to caught fresh bait again

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing this with us glad to hear you caught all kinds of skippies, there great catfish bait, ive had more luck on using cut skippies more than I have any other bait hopefully them will be able to catch you some nice catfish.

4. plukr54

plukr54 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey all, are skipjack kinda sorta like our shiners?

5. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
  6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Skipjack are kinda hard to compare to another fish in indiana. If I had to, I would compare them to shad. They are similar in shape, size, and color to shad. But they will very very readily hit baits like a curly tail jig. They are awesome hunters and a blast to catch. Sometimes more fun than the catfishing itself!

One reason they are such excellent bait is that they are like shad, except much more oily. They leave an awesome scent trail in the water that catfish easily find and hit very hard, usually. My experience with them is that they are best for the blue cats and especially during the winter. During the summer, I would rather had a fresh, lively shad than a skipjack but they still produce!

7. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    Catch them here in Indiana?

8. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I caught a 5 gallon bucket full today.Caught several in almost 2 pd range.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

Yeah, we catch them on the Ohio River. They can be hard to get sometimes but when they run they are easy. We catch them at the dams, at powerplant discharges, and during the summer they congregate around rip rap pretty heavy.

The big ones hit a curly tail jig pretty regularly and hard. But we use a sabiki rig almost exclusively. Put a 1/2 ounce jig head n the bottom with a curly tail and you will catch them on that too. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=53204&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Warning about sabiki rigs! They have too many hooks to use for gamefish. If you are fishing with them, especially at the dams, you will hook into the occasional striper, sauger, smallmouth, etc. you must release them because they were caught illegally. I saw a guy last weekend get a ticket because he was keeping his sauger too and a CO nailed him because he was fishing with 7 hooks (6 on the sabiki rig and then the jighead on the bottom). Just a warning to save yourself a headache.

The run is slowing down. Caught over 200 last week but they are slowing. They should make another run as soon as we get some rain and the river starts rising.

10. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Thanks for the info Max! I've been thinking about going down for a bait trip. I'll wait for some water before making the trip.

11. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Was on the ohio yesterday and the jacks were all over the creek mouths must be feeding on the creeks because of the water on the rise. Saw some big blue being caught in deep hole the wind turned bad on us like 6 ft waves. BUt still caught some nice channels

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the skips. Fishing with fresh ones are always a treat. Good luck to you all.

13. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always have a hard time catching skipjack. Mainly because I do not own a boat, therefore I can't get some of the places in which you guys have mentioned. However when fishin from the random different docks that I fish, I consistantly see silver and or white fish swirling and hitting the tops of the water. I would say by the looks of these fish that they are skippies or white bass. And I have caught several white bass while trying to catch skippies from the docks, but no skips. I just wish that I could get my hands on some skipjack or big shad. Any pointers? Keep in mind I fish from three different docks, along the Indiana side of the Ohio and I do not own a boat. I mainly fish n between Louisville and Madison. Any Feedback Would Be GREAT! thanks.

14. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Craig, You should try fishing at the power plant discharge, just down river from Madison.