SKIPJACK

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by whodaman, Feb 20, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    allright ever sence i got in to the tournament circuit we have heard about this skipjack herring my question is it can it be caught in iowa waters im assuming i will need a saining net

2. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Im not positive but i dont think theres SkipJack Herring around southeast iowa. I know that no bait shop within an hour of Burlinton sells it. Some of them have never even heard of it when i asked about it. So i just stick with shad......

When they had the King Kat Classic in Fort Madison a few years ago, the guys were saying they brought skipjack up from down south. They kept it on dry ice.

3. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    sorry whodaman....your gonna have to head southeast if you want to get it. ky/tn area seems to be the hot spots for it

4. Jerry Bohr

Jerry Bohr New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello; just signed on. I live in northwest Iowa and mostly fish the
    Big Sioux river. There are plenty SKIP JACK in the river here. They
    are also called Mooneye. Can be caught with a bobber and a worm.
    never tried to siene them.

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Corey,
    Mooneyes are not the same as Skipjacks.
    Mooneyes ( Hiodontidae ) this fish family `includers only two mmembers (1) Goldeye (Hiodon alosoides) and (2) Mooneye (Hiodon tergisus).
    The Skipjacks are a member of the Herring family. Which also enclude Treadfin shad, Gizzard shad, Alabama shad, and Skipjack herring.
    Skipjack are rarely ever cought in a cast net. mostly rod and reel only.
    There is a lot of information about catching Skipjacks on the site. Try some searches and you will find something.
    Welcome to the BOC.