Skipjack!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Dec 24, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    How are the skipjack running below Kentucky lake? I'm coming to uncle Sci Fi's get together. And I was wanting to bring my 7 year old boy along for some fun. I'd love to get him out there to catch some skipjack. Because I've heard they are a blast to catch. He loves to fish. He loves to do just about anything that Dad asks him to do for that matter. :smile2: He's a good kid, and would have fun regardless if we caught and skippies or not. But I know if I kept him busy catching bait for Daddy, he'd be content the whole time. But I'd hate to drag him 3 or 4 hours there and back, if we didn't do any good. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

Dan

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    A lot depends on the mood they are in. Sometimes they are in there so thick you can almost walk across them and other times you couldn't buy one. But this time of year there are usually plenty. But like I said, "There are no guarantees on a successful day.

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Thank you for your informative reply JW. And may I take this opportunity to compliment you on your mastery of spelling.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how did you guys do at cumberland city yesterday jw? fill the boat with them:smile2:

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now that was PRICELESS!!!!!!!
    Didn't do as well as I expected but one never knows till he tries.

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    theonecatfishbob

I would like to bring your attention to JW's post I just re-read the entire post he made and I could not find one thing wrong with what he posted, I re-read it twenty two times and still could not find any misspelled words, could you please look this over and see if I missed something !

Thanks your brother that's always here from another Mother.. D/H :eek:oooh:

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    just asking.... :wink:

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Mr. DH Sir. I guess I had better start getting more sleep. I have begun to hallucinate. Good Night.

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i bet you missed this part bob..... Last edited by DeerHunter01 : Yesterday at 09:39 PM. Reason: Was helping out a brother in need from being picked on by the onecatfishbobby !! I AM HERE TO HELP !! AS ALWAYS :smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    BigA:

Shhhhh !! don't give all my secrets away, he is from Missouri and they can't read in small print...LMAO :eek:oooh:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I see the Broke Back Cane Tuckk Ee Ann is feeling better. :smile2:

Glad to see you back on board brother. Merry Christmas and best wishes on your surgery.

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    been there done that!!!!

its great that you want to spend time with the boy. however jan.5th it will be cold weather and possible dangerous conditions at the dam.+ 7 year old = misery for both of you. i speak from experiance on this matter,i used to take my girl with me alot when she was young. she will hang with me now but when she was 7 ,it was hard to keep her involved and content.(im cold daddy,i gotta go to the bathroom daddy,why aint we catchin fish daddy?,are we leavin soon daddy?,are you ready yet daddy?,can we go home daddy? im hungry daddy. and on and on.)so i would just take her on the fishin trips i knew she would enjoy herself on and know she is a die hard fisherman..well good luck on whatever you decide,remember spendin time with the kids are great times ,just be sure both of you can have fun!!!!

steve

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A friend of mine has been catching plenty of skippies below Kentucky Dam. He is on here often. Name is Jazper. If you see him online ask him for an update.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I know that there are alot of folks coming down to just get skipjack and, at any time between now and then there can be thousands upon thousands of them in and out of there at any given time.
    But the skipjack are secondary to the reason behind this meeting. It is more for the fellowship, laughter and all around friendships that are molded at these meetings. You will meet some fine folks and get to dine and shoot the breeze with them in the proccess.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    JW, while it is foremost about the fellowship, a lot of us are dropping huge wads of CASH to make this trip and are hoping to stock up on bait. We don't exactly have an abundance of Skippies up here like some folks do.

I am very much looking forward to meeting my fellow Boccers but I am also very much looking forward to catching a ton (I HOPE) of SkipJack while I am there.

Several of us will be Skippy fishing for the first time (myself included) and appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks for your help in getting my tackle, rods and reels and misc. picked out.

Yes, I got the PINK ones too, man I hope you ain't pulling my leg!:eek:oooh:

16. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I have pink ones too. You never know. :) I haven't been fishing for skips any a few weeks but, im planning on going up on sunday hopefully and Ill see how they are.

17. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Guys...I went to Ky and Barkley dams today and there were no skips to be found. I was told that the water is up now and that was affecting the skips. Hopefully by the 5th things will be right for the skips.

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The skips were hitting real good in the lakes yesterday afternoon and this morning. I kept 5 for bait last night and released around 20 of them I caught just playing around with a 1/64th oz popeye jig. I really didn't fish very long or hard for them, just a couple casts every now and then.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks Griz. Appreciate the update. We all have our fingers crossed the skips will be running pretty good on the fifth.

20. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I'm heading to B@$$-pro shop tonight. what kind of jigs are you guys catching the skips on?