Skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Todd Strong, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Help me brothers, looking to buy skipjack, is there somewhere close to Saint Joseph that anybody knows of that sells skipjack, the places here in town have what there calling skipjack, but it's not. Any help would be great.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Every bait shop that I have seen selling cut skipjack wants an arm and a leg. It seems to be averaging about $6.99 for a small worm container full of frozen skippies. Not much bait. They can keep it.

I think I might have netted some the other day. I don't know my bait very well.

I usually find goldeye but these had a silver eye, felt a little softer, and had teeth.

I used them all.

Guess I need to look up that link again but it all starts looking the same to me. LOL:eek:oooh:

3. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Hoping to find some for the King Kat tourney here in Saint Joseph on the 14th.

4. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I found some Darryl, there whole they say there good sized for $6:00 a fish, little high just for a piece of bait, There a herring look semilar to the golden eye, just think you probably had a little money in your net. Round up 1000 or so and you do some upgrades.

5. worm

worm New Member

State:
    missouri
    I can get them for you but the more you take the better the price . Let me know how many you think you want. THese are not minnows they are the real deal.

6. R2800

R2800 New Member

State:
    MO
    Burton's bait shop in Smithville has whole frozen herring, its around 6 bucks for two 10 or 12 inch fish vacuum sealed.

7. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thanks, for the replays I found some, that price at burtons is $6.00 a fish and there bagged as 2. So it would be twelve a bag.

8. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Hey Todd. Stinkie fingers in the south end said they have whole skipjack but I didnt get a price.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Beware-they are skipjack tunas, not herring!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'll second what Doug said: Burton's is selling Skipjack Tuna, from the ocean, absolutely worthless for bait around here. Once they thaw out, they're mush. And they stink.

Doug and I learned about those things last summer. Won't make that mistake again.:big_smile:

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Riverbluff Rod & Gun in Waverly has them. Whole skipjack, anywhere from 6-12" long. They're spendy, though, $6 a fish. I buy them once in a while when I don't have time to catch bait, but I haven't been impressed. They're mushy once they're thawed and I haven't caught any more fish on them than I have on fresh shad or goldeye. A lot of guys swear by them, though. I was thinking about it last night actually while I was fishing. If we don't have skipjack in this part of Missouri, the fish around here probably aren't any more excited about frozen skipjack than they would be by good ol' familliar freshly caught, never frozen shad:wink:.....Just my $.02, though. I know some guys around here that catch a lot more fish than me swear by them.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks again for the link.

Yep, that definately was skipjack I got into last week. I should have kept throwing my net and stocked up on them. Only took enough out of the water to fish with for that day.:confused2:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The ones in Waverly are herring. if I remember right they get them from either TN or KY at one of the big dams down there.

15. R2800

R2800 New Member

State:
    MO
    Doug & Mr T, What I bought at Burtons in smithville looks more like the picture you provided of the herring than the tuna. The package also says herring on it but does not mention skipjack. Now that you mention it, I may have been wrong about the price though.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Burton's is a pretty good shop, I've never had a problem there. I can't see him intentionally selling the wrong stuff.

17. R2800

R2800 New Member

State:
    MO
    I agree, I was actually trying to find some pickled herring in a jar, because my neighor caught a 15 lb blue out of the platte with it. He said he bought it at burtons. But they haven't had it when I go there, they said they only get it on occassion.

18. worm

worm New Member

State:
    missouri
    What river bluff is selling comes from tenn. Yes they will get mushy when thawed. SKIP JACK IN MY THOUGHTS IS BETTER LEFT FROZEN UNTIL YOU USE IT. I KEEP MY IN A COOLER WITH ALOT OF ICE. As far as not being in the missouri you better keep looking. They are here they just dont have a big dam to stop them and make them school up. I have caught them in a throw net before.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Worm, thanks for the head's up, I've always heard we didn't have them this far West. Got my little wheels turning, since they like the boil at the dams, I wonder if a guy could get them behind the wing dykes where the water's coming over a cut and making nice, oxygen-rich water....

Yeah, the mushy part is one of the reason's I don't like the frozen ones. I put them on frozen, but in heavy current once they thaw they like to wash off on me. Probably a a big chunk of it is me not knowing how to rig them well, either.

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Gary's a friend of mine, and I never said anything about him misrepresenting his bait. He doesn't claim to have herring, only skipjack.