Skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    Is skipjack something that I could find in a deli around here?? anyone know?
    I have no clue where to find them or how to fish for them so I figure I would buy some.

2. Ped532

Ped532 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    You can catch them with a net in any lake or river but I'm not sure what kind of jig you can use to catch them

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    well my net skills are still sub par. Iv only had about and hours practice and cant seem to get it down.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Andrew you can catch em at the alton dam with pretty much any crappie jig...Bass Pro also sells a jig called a sabiki rig that is commonly used to catch skips...they are in the catfishing isle here at the BP in St Charles, I think there are only $2.69 for a set...just attach to the pole and cast, those skips are really a fun fish to catch!

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Andrew I Forgot to mention that I to had a problem throwing a cast net...until I found one at Wal-Mart called the "easy cast" throw net...Let me tell you that it is soooooo simple to use that I literally was throwing it perfectly after MAYBE three attempts!!! That is the ONLY throw net that I will bye from now on, I'm on net number 4 as of right now and I bought the first one 2 years ago

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    yes Iv seen those before. what exactly makes them easier to cast? I know they have some kinda disc thing but what does it do?

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    also I dont have a boat with a fish finder so I dont know how to find the schools. can you pretty much find them anywhere? also do they keep well in a bait tank? or are they like shad.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The disc that is at the top of the throw net makes it so easy to use...it's sort of like throwing a frizbee... I have a boat but i catch the skips from the bank most of the time, after i catch em, i throw em in a cooler full of ice and that's it...Just throw em on ice! I catch the skips right there at the alton dam from the bank all the time...there really fun to catch as they are pretty good little fighters!

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    hey thanx man I got some old crappie jigs I havnt used in a while. any color they prefer more than others?

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    White/shad are often good; red, yellow, blue, green are good at times, too. If several of you are fishing for skippies, use different colors till you see what they are hitting best. If they slack off hitting, try changing your retreive; also try adding or removing weight to change the depth you are fishing. If they quit hitting for more than 15-20 minutes, try changing colors.

11. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Andrew,
    You can buy them at Bluff City Tackle in Alton. They may not have any til someone starts catching them. When I went there last spring they had some in their freezer.:0a26: