Skipjack

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by suggy183, Jan 18, 2007.

1. suggy183

suggy183 New Member

State:
    NE
    Is it possible to buy frozen skipjack anywhere or could someone tell me a good substitute or a good place to catch them in Nebraska

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am sorry to have to say thisbut, I don't think that they run up that far. I am not possitive on that but, I have not heard of anyone in Nebraska catching them or using them for bait. If you do manage to get them frozen somewhere make sure they a vacuum sealed and not in a zipplock baggy. Vacuum sealed skipjack are just as fresh as the day they were caught, at least to me they are.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was fishing in merrit last summer. All my uncles were there. They knew nothing about skip jack. They seem to like drum and sunfish.

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    It may well be possible that you could get a hold of some skipjack and then get skunked! :eek:oooh:

I know that i have fished in certain areas of the country and had some success with certain baits or lures...moved and tried the same bait/lure and got my arse kicked.

One good personal example. I used to live in Cookeville TN...many years ago and had many co-workers that i fished with after gettin off of work at 2am. We used shrimp most of the time. We caught a lot of fish.
    As life would have it, i ended up living 3000 miles away in CA a season later.

I hooked up with some fisherman after a bit of time who knew some places to catch cats. I brought shrimp and they gave me the weirdiest looks one could delve out. I caught jacksquat.nada..zero..over and over again....i actually gave up fishin for a few years because of this experience!!! :embarassed: :beat_shot:

I moved to Oregon after a season and learned what the locals used to catch trout and adapted to their style of fishin. :big_smile:

Learn what the fish eat. Find local baits. Find local lures.

the learning experience is quite fun, if you choose to follow the rabbit! :cool2:

cyas robert

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Go with what Robert says, use local types of baits that the fish are feeding on. They will probably not give a second glance to something that does not seem right.

6. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    we catch them all the time in here in nebraska city out of the river with worm and a small hook the flathead in my avatar was caught on a skippy's head with an 8/0 circle hook through the eye and about 5 oz. weight

7. suggy183

suggy183 New Member

State:
    NE
    I'm also in the city where is a good place to go?
    thanks
    suggy183

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I catch my skipjacks by using a minnow under a bobber and just let it drift down the river.

9. pingpong

pingpong New Member

State:
    texas
    what is a skip jack?

10. mwmuck

mwmuck New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think we have them in Texas unless we call them something else. We do have a saltwater fish referred to as a Skipjack. It's also called a Ladyfish....looks like a small Tarpon. Could some of our northern brothers post a picture of what you refer to as a Skipjack or give us the scientific name?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here you go. Sorry to take so long.

Attached Files: