Skipjack

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Eudora, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey guys:

When is a good time of the year to catch skipjacks?

Andy

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andy I noticed you posted this in the Ky thread. Skipjacks are being caught now at Barkley dam and others. When they start their run in Late Feb through ............., places like Ky Lake, Barkley CC Steam Plant are fished hard. Fisherman like these time to fill their freezers. Good luck.[/B]

3. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Thanks Mickey. I was thinking about hitting the Ohio River. Would I be further ahead to fish a lake?

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they like current and the outlets around the steam discharges because of the water temp....you can catch them in lakes, most people target them at locks and dams or warm water discharges (this time of year) with sabaki rigs and curly tail jigs.... best of luck to ya, let us know if you get into a mess of them...

5. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been trying not to ask because I didn't want to look stupid, but I'm going to anyway. What the heck is a "skipjack"? Is this a kind of shad or something?

6. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    No it is a herring also called Tennessee Tarpon, very oily and the cats love them cut or whole. Check out this site http://www.seeinstripes.com/skipjack.htm

7. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    While we're on the subject... Where can I find sabaki rigs locally? (Louisville area) Someone told me they're saltwater rigs & you can only buy them online.

8. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Bass pro in Jeffersonville should have them .

9. Ducati Monster

Ducati Monster New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I've looked for'em there before with no luck... I'll ask someone next time. That place is huge.

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    yeah basspro carries them up here in Cincy, and while we are on the topic, make sure when you purchase your sabiki rig make sure you cut it in half and use both ends it gives you 2 for 1 for your money. Most sabiki rigs comes with 6-8 hooks and I for one would never be able to bring in more than 3 at a time due to their spastic nature. Just a suggestion but you will find that those fish will burn up a rig very quickly. Oh, and larger hooks/flies are not always better I have caught 2-3 lbers on the smallest sabiki fly while other guys are fishing with the bigger ones and catching nothing, so just make sure you get a variety of sizes in case the fish are picky that day....nothing worse than a wasted trip:embarassed:

11. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Mike:

Both Cabela's and Bass Pro have them online. I've bought them off there before. They usually have a pretty good selection.