skipjack....

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by wtjordan84, Jul 2, 2009.

1. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    i hear all the hype...i have to try it. where do you get it and how do you keep it fresh? suggestions?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    !st Welcome to the Hood!!!:big_smile: Check out the Library bait section & bait talk threads:big_smile:

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. Good luck.

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC, I'm going to be doing some research on skipjack too b/c I've never used it but heard a lot of great things!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wes Welcome to the BOC, from Illinois. I don't know where you can find, skipjack in your area.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've been wondering this myself. I've never heard of skipjack until I started browsing here. I buy herring at local bait shops, but I've always thought they were blueback herring, though I'm not sure where I got that from. What's the difference between blueback and skipjack?

7. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Seems to be similar to the skipjack.

Blueback herring (Alosa aestivalis)(picture) are a favorite food of bass where they live in the same waters. They are a saltwater fish that can live in freshwater and have become established in many freshwater lakes.
    Blueback Herring Description - Blueback herring and alewife are very similar. They are flat sided fish with rounded bellies and forked tails. Both are silvery with dark blue or bronze backs and have small spiny scales along their belly.
    Blueback Herring Size - Reach a maximum length of 16 inches (40 cm) and weight of 7 ounces (200 g.) MAximum age is about eight years.

Blueback Herring Problems In Freshwater Lakes - Since blueback herring eat fish eggs and fry as well as the food that game fish fry eat, they are director predators and competitors with them. Because of this they ahve caused problems with largemouth populations in Lake Burton and Nottely in Georgia and walleye populations in Lake Hiwassee in North Carolina. All state Departments of Natural Resources work to limit their spread in freshwater lakes and it is illegal to use them as live bait in lakes where they don't already exist and it is always illegal to stock them.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It works great in water they are native and thick in. I have used it, had some good luck with it, but I dont fixat on one bait. I use what is native forage in the river 95% of the time. Tell the truth I do better on cut carp and live,cut shad. And somtimes mooneye or even worms will outfish anything. Get some if its native to the area or to try somtime but dont be disapointed when it dont produce a monster for you.

9. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like to take a 5 way rig with little tiny white jigs and an aggitatior bobber and i go to the dam and catch a shit load

10. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Before I got into big cats, I would catch them on the Mississippi in Rock Island, all day on the same set up I use for gills, I would just cast a piece of worm on a boober and I could catch 50 in 2 hours. If I only knew then what I know now. Well next time I go I will catch plenty and freeze them. Damn Bass fishing keeps the true Catfisherman blind lol

11. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Welcome to the BOC. Skipjack are a lot more oily than threadfin or gizzard shad. Find some and you will start catching blues.

12. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    you can find skipjack at lake hickory...in hickory nc

13. argeldeggy

argeldeggy New Member

State:
    WA
    I just recently got on this forum and was reffered by Catfish Commando, I have never used Skipjack, but now I'm going to try it. I ll check out the bait thread.

Thanks Guys

14. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Argel welcome to the B.O.C from coastal North Carolina ,hope you enjoy the site ,lots of good info an great people on here