skipjack

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mississippi man, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Went to the Alton dam, none from the bank yet, hopefully soon. I lost all of mine when the freezer went out along with all the rest of my fish. You could call me anxious. I do have questions. Are sabiki rigs legal with an illinois license? Am I just too early? Is the water too high? I know the water temp is 45* is it still too cold?

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I will answer one of those questions. sabiki's are NOT legal with an illinois license. You will need to fish KY waters with a KY license.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yes they are legal in illinois waters for the soul purpose of catching baitfish. for example your catching skips and you catch a sauger.....you cannot keep the sauger. it has to go back in the water or your sabiki rig is illegal making you illegal. but as long as you use it for just skips you are ok.

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have family that live in mound city illinois and when i went down there last fall to do some catfishing with my uncle i called the dnr and asked if the sabiki rig can be used and i was told yes as long as it was for baitfish and any game fish would be released back into the water it came from immediately.

5. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I sent an email to the Illinois DNR 2 years ago asking that very same question. Their reply said YES they are legal to take BAITFISH.:wink:I would post it, but I deleted it. Send them one yourself and let us know what they tell you. CPO's sometimes interpret the laws differently.:crazy:

6. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I had an officer check me over a few years ago and he did not say anything about me using it but I wasn't about to ask either, you know it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.... just kidding! Anyway I was catching some white b@$$ with it and I threw them back. Maybe he saw that, but the rules talk about a 2 hook limit and that makes me really want to get something in writing.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    you are correct on the two hook limit, but a sabiki rig is based on a lure set up as it is manufactored that way, would be just like trolling two crank baits with 3 hooks each, total of 6 actual hooks but looked at as two as they are designed that way,(atleast that is how it was explained to me by a CPO)Clear as MUD yet, LOL...... I also agree on a reply letter, I have a couple for various questions that (yes) have been laminated and kept in tackle bag, as ya said, CPO's "sometime" see it their own way, and a letter from Springfield or Champaign will usually clear things right up :wink:

8. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Well I talked to a CPO and he said the sabiki rig was illegal, but he told me to go ahead and use it, because he knew what I was doing with it. So it is kinda weird he is allowing me to break the law??? Anyway the guy was real nice, but he was talking a bunch of jibberish about people snagging from the boat and illinois land laws. I got some advice for anyone below the dam trying to snag from a boat, don't do because according to him you're gonna get a ticket! He was saying that you have to stay within 500 yards, and in a boat that is all the distance you can get to the dam. I have an email out to the IDNR about the sabiki rig I will post it when I get it.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds about right for here, ask 20 people in the IDNR and get 30 different answers :wink: :smile2:

10. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Unless the Regs changed for 2009, last years were written that you can fish 300 yards from a L&D and the I think the Corps lets you get get withing 1-200 yards of the dam depending on their mood, so you have a pretty small window to snag from a boat, but it should be possible.

As for the 2 hook rule and Sabaki rigs I don't understand the debate. The Mississippi River falls under the general state regulations which are different than "site specific" regulation where the 2 lure/hook limit comes into play.

The hook limit on the Mississippi River is 50 hooks, this is what allows you to use trot lines, bank poles, etc. Unless your are fishing with the Sabaki rigs from hell you are perfectly legal on the Miss.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    That's part of the reason I buy a Mo. license every year! Besides Mo. takes better care of there boat ramps. I also feel Mo. does a better job at insuring fishing for future generations. Just my 2 cents.

12. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Maybe you should write some letters, email, or call your local gov.,state representives & senators and maybe that will get the ball rolling the right way. I don't see how by not buying a IL. license helps anything its the same thing as not doing anything to change things the way they are. Maybe we can stop by the region iv office together and try to get some answers?

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ol Jason at it again, likes to piss and moan about the state of Illinois but wants nothing to do with changing it, I tell ya.......

14. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Is kind of funny that he has no problems sticking IL. deer.

15. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Anyways lets get this thread back on track, I don't think were going to see any skips around Alton until the water gets down to normal and stays down.

16. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    The two hook limit applies to two hooks per pole, rod, etc. Even where you can have 50 hooks that is for trot lines and jugging. It doesn't apply to a rod and reel where you can only have a max of two hooks. You can have 25 rods and reels with two hooks apiece. I hope this makes sense. However, I have seen NO exception for sabikis "as long as they are used for baitfish."

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    And about the time that happens Justin all the water that is jammed up north and up the Mo. will be headed this way soon I think, sooner or later they are gonna finish BLASTING them ice jams out up north and west to relieve their flooding and it is all gonna hit here about the same time, So I don't know what to tell ya about the skips this year. unless ya want frozen ones :wink:

Been over to yer camp at Carlyle lately? Just wandering, went by (kinda) today on way back from spillway....

18. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I'm good on the frozen skips, it would be nice to have some local fresh skips there is somthing to be said about using native bait. As for Carlyle I should be up there this weekend for the youth turkey season. I was think of bringing the boat along w/ me not sure yet just depends if the boy can pop ol long beard Sat. morning. I plan on being up there a little more this year to fish, burn wood, and watch the sun come up a couple of times:smile2::wink:.

19. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Sun come up?? Hmmm either you are short on beer over there... or maybe swimming in it enough to make it to Sun-up. Either way works I suppose. G'luck with the turkeys!

20. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    You're going to have to show me where in the Regs this is, I just don't see it anywhere. I'm posting this up here because it's important to me, a "Game violation" is a big No No in my field of work, plus I think it's important to inform people.

I have the Illinois 2009 Fishing Regs sitting right here beside me.

Let me quote/paraphrase key sentences (page 8).

Statewide restrictions = info under "Sportfishing License" (page 5)

Illinois River (Page 19) and Mississippi River (Page 25) and probably all other river Site specific Regulations.
    Only fish species catch limits and lengths are regulated. There is NOTHING that limits your gear, rods, or hooks outside of the Statewide Regulations quoted above that simply limit you to 50 hooks, which can be on 1 device with 50 hooks (i.e. trot line) or 50 devices with 1 hook (i.e. jugs).