Skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Fetmo, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Fetmo

Fetmo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    How yall catch skipjack?

Fetmo:0a23:

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    first welcome to the boc , skips on small chrome spoons ,white curly tail jigs , sabki rigs , most of the time jigs are 2 to a leader you may need to check local game laws on number of hooks.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Larry! I'm sure that small lures or spoons will work great for skippies, but I've never tried them. Most people either use a sabiki rig or a couple of crappie jigs tied in tandem. I've seen both used side by side, and couldn't tell that one worked any better than the other. Crappie jigs are more convenient to me, so that's what I use. I've got a little plastic box with an assortment of jig sizes and colors, and curlytails and tubes of assorted colors. Don't be surprised at catching two at a time; it's not uncommon at all.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I pre-tie my own rigs using crappie jigs and a white twist tail on the end. I tie on 4 jigs per rig. Sometimes catch 3 & 4 skips. I use a heavier leader line to tie the rig with just for that reason.:cool2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You have had three good answers on how to catch Skipjack.:0a22::0a25::0a25:[/B]

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Be sure to read your regs carefully before making up or buying your rigs. I don't know about Kentucky, but Tennessee has some funky regs about the number of lures and size of hooks allowed. Arkansas doesn't have any such regs.