Skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by master_cat, Mar 9, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey are the skipjack running below the dams yet thanks guys

2. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I've been to Cheatham Dam a couple of times this year, and have yet to see shad. No shad = no skipjack :(

Since I was home for spring break last Friday, I went and baited a few rods with frozen skipjack, and didn't get one bite for the 5 hours I was there. According to their website, the water is still 50 degrees, so I guess I'm about a month or so early (probably still a good sauger bite going on if you have a boat).

I've never been to the steamplant in Clarksville, but from what I gather, shad and skipjack are thick there year round.

Does anyone here know anything about bankfishing at the steamplant? Public access?

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    jamey the shad are their year round but the skipjack are caught more in the winter their is places to fish all over the steam plant nice lighted area i hope this helps

4. skip_jack

skip_jack New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    Jamey, if you go thru Cumberland City, there is a public fishing access right by the discharge stream. You can park there and get to the bank. Also, about 500 yards further doen the road, there is a boat ramp. I always see people fishing from the bank there. The folks running the power plant don't mind ya fishing at the public access, or the ramp, but they sure let ya know quick if you're not supposed to be somewhere. If you can get a spot on the point on either side of the discharge and cast in to the river, you can find where the ledge is. The trick is gettin a line out that far without throwing the bait. I've seen several guys there, but the luck all depends on the fish. I'm not too familiar with how the fishing is there this time of year, but that'd be about the best place to give it a shot from shore.

5. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I don't think distance will be a problem - I can get my bait out about a hundred yards or so with either of my 12' Okuma Solaris Surf rods! But if I'm fishing with my 7' UglyStik Tigers, I'll have to find those points for sure...

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be sure to check out the steam plant after graduation (just a little over a month to go). I'm psyched!