skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfishfever1, Jan 19, 2009.

1. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    just wondering if anyone could tell me where i could get some skipjack. never fished with i would drive few hours to get it if i had to

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i am up here on grand lake

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I guess no one looks at a thread down here...but I'd wait until the water temperature warms up some... like to 65 or so. They'll be easily caught on small tube jigs or sabiki rig in the fast running water with foam under the dams on the Arkansas River. Some people use surf rods rigged up with striper flys spaced about a foot apart above a 5oz casting sinker which allows the casting to distant water, then ripped back to keep the flies just under the surface.

In the spring, I like to use 1/4oz white or chartreuse jigs with my medium weight spinning outfit spooled with 17 to 20 pound line. I'll catch just as many wipers, stripers and sandbass on those jigs along with the herrings. A rod with backbone is appreciated when a 30 inch four pound herring slams the jigs. They act just like their look-alike cousin, the tarpon, only with very sharp teeth.