skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by snowden, Jan 10, 2009.

1. snowden

snowden New Member

State:
    kentucky
    were can u buy? at this time of year.

thank's

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No place to buy that I am aware of. But I see you are from Kentucky and they are swimming in our waters here. You should be able to catch plenty with a short drive.:big_smile:Where you located?

3. snowden

snowden New Member

State:
    kentucky
  4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Walter,

Welcome to the BOC.

There are not many places anywhere that you can ever buy skipsjack. You have to find where they hang out and go catch them. Sometimes this takes a special trip just depends on where you live and where the skips are at.

Skips usually will be below dams with swift water like dams with hydro plants. At this time of year you can sometimes find them below or around hot water outlets from manufacturing plants.

To catch the skips most use a sabiki rig but a crappie jig will usually work in the white or chartreuse colors. A small spoon will work at times also.

Hope all this helps
    Kev

5. snowden

snowden New Member

State:
    kentucky
    any good place around maysville ky.

6. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Aberdeen Power plant I here is full of them this time of year. Having said that I have never been over there to catch them. However about 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a man give me about 6-8 of them that he said came from aberdeen power plant. These were all real nice skips, and he had a whole cooler full that he said that he caught in about 4 hours. Generally I just go to kentucky lake though. Warmer down there and I can leave the boat at home and still catch plenty of them. Griz put me on those fish about 4-5 years ago.