Skipjack Trip

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by BKS72, Oct 3, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've heard they're thick at Pickwick/Wilson dam. What would be the closest town to stay in if I wanted to go down for a few days and catch some? I'd like to spend a couple of days and load up my freezer for the year.

Also, would spring be the best time to get a bunch of them? I think it's about an 8 hour drive there for me, so I want to plan the trip for the time I'd have the best chance of catching a bunch of them. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks,

Branden

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Counce, TN is only a couple of miles from Pickwick Dam. While there was definitely a fair amount of skippies caught during the gathering, it didn't even compare with the spring run. At the spring gathering, we filled a 7 cubic foot freezer in about 3 hours. The best time for them AND decent weather is late April to early May.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Are they there most of the time, or only during releases from the dam? If so, is there a website that will show me anticipated flows through the dam? I'd just hate to run all the way down there and not catch any. Thanks for the info!

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    they are or were running good about two weeks ago . if the turbians are running they are jumping every where.the best thing to use there so far ive found is a white or bright yellow fly,crappie jig just heavy enough to be about a foot under water(you probably know that). we fished at wheeler or just above the damn and caught around 1500 pounds in 3 days jugging.channels should be in the boxes of the damn soon.let me know and maybe we could go and help you out .if yo can get one there are cabins at wheeler for about 68.00 a night four beds.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks for the info! I probably won't be over until the spring (wish they'd run in the winter, when I tired of not catching catfish here I'd run down there and catch skips)

It'll require a little planning before I'm ready to drag the boat that far, but I'll post up before I come down and maybe I can meet up with some of you guys. Thanks again!

Branden

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great information folks thank you all very much...I am looking to add some off these bad boys to my freezer as well...

8. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Go to Wilson or Wheeler Dam's in Alabama.....Twice as good as Pickwick Dam for skips....the folks that live down that way came up here to catch them this year......There thick right now below the dams and have been since mid-July.....I only freeze a couple hundred a year....as I can get them most of the time from March till November......If you want to get them in the winter try the Cumberland City Steam Plant in TN.....probably closer if your coming from the north......Me and a friend filled a 50 quart cooler up in less than an hour up there a few years ago in December when it was 11 degrees out.

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hello Branden, I went at the end of August (to Pickwick)and caught 344 medium-large (1lb-3lbs) skips in 5 hrs. I dont even carry a boat when I go! Fish from the bank and watch where there jumping! I have been to Pickwick in the spring also, but I have NEVER seen so many as this year at the end of August! I also know of a pro angler that went last Friday and he caught 150 BIG ones in 5 hrs, so you can catch a bunch still! MIKE, I have a friend that lives near the "steamplant" at Cumberland City and they are NOT letting any water discharge, because of some problems up there. I went there last winter and caught a bunch for bait, but my buddy told me that the skips wont be running in there this winter, UNLESS something changes with the discharge rate! Just letting you know before you make a Special trip to the "steamplant".:crazy:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You probably already have figured this out, but the bite really drops off when there's no current. If you notice the schedule of release times over a couple of weeks, I think you'll notice that they are releasing water more consistently on weekdays than on weekends.