Skipjack transport and storage.

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by BajaCoop, Dec 13, 2009.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    So with all the talk of stocking up on skippies for wheeler I thought it would be a good idea to talk about the do's and don'ts of transporting and storing them.

Everyone post up what they know about keeping them in the best condition from the time you catch em till they go out as bait.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    put them on ice after you catch them, then vacume seal them when you get home and freeze them. i have heard a few guys add garlic or canning salt to help preserve them, but i wouldnt goto that extreme the vacume sealer does the job really well.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Never never let them sit in water

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    For me it's an 8-10 hour drive, so chances are I'll catch them one day and drive home the next.

I shrink wrap the skips there, and as I put the bags in the cooler I'll layer in ice and add salt. The salt will lower the melting point of the ice, and as long as I'm diligent with adding salt and ice, they will be mostly frozen before I get home. It's important that once you start using salt that you continue to add ice and salt and drain off the melt water regularly, as you don't want the skips to thaw again.

5. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    so assuming you can't vaccum pack them onsite, would it be better to put the skips in bags on ice or the ice in bags then the skips on top of the bags.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Can't add anthing Ed. They got ya covered!!

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'd put the skips in bags, as the water always seems to find a way to leak out of bags as it melts. Alternatively, freeze some milk jugs or 2 liter bottles, and use those for your ice.

8. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i got a vacum sealer if u need to borrow it ed

9. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    i may take you up on that.

10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    well if someone wants to seal while some catch at fish camp ill bring my generator and be able to vac seal on site. just a thought

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I bought an inverter that plugs into my cig lighter socket that runs my vacuum sealer just fine, no need for a big, noisy generator. I don't vacuum seal them there though because I am too busy trying to catch them.

I have found it to be cold enough in the winter to get my skips home without ice, LOL! Crack the cooler lid overnight and the skips stay nice and chilled. Dry ice would be nice I suppose but who can find it?

A lot more comfy bagging them in your garage as opposed to a cold parking lot.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Skips right. Seems everytime we have been gigging suckers lately the fish are frozen solid before we even make it back home to clean them. It's usually colder in January than it is now as well.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Seth, I"d love to have a few dozen suckers to have on hand before February 21st. I"ll be more than happy to pay you and your friends for any extras if yall want. Name your price if its something yall feel like doing.

14. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I am gonna do my best to go with them and stick a few. If we don't fry em all up I am sure we could work something out. Say a boat seat for a weekend?

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Done Deal. I'd like about 3 dozen to take to Tawakoni with me. I know how much yall like to eat em, thats why I offered up money :smile2: Figured that might keep a few from he skillet.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    OH, and if your riding in the ProCat, you'll most likely have to bring a small load of patience as well most likely be filming and well have to work around the cameras. It can be a small pain in the butt sometimes. Just ask Rusty :smile2:

With my business partners approval, perhaps we can make a DVD on our adventure available to just the Gateway Guys and Gals. I dont think it would be a big deal, but would be nice to document the memories.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  17. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City

That would be awesome!

18. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    You pretty much film if you have a line in the water don't ya? It would be pretty cool to get some footage of people catching fish. It obviously doesn't have to be gone over with a fine tooth comb like the professional footage you are trying to market, but would be cool nonetheless. I am sure people would be happy to cough upa few bucks to cover your expense to make them a copy of the footage.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yeah, assuming 30-40 copies, thats something we could burn on our own. Well entertain the idea as time draws near and see how it shakes out.

20. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Cuz...as long as Ed hold's me back from eating all the fish when he comes up we'll save a few for you.:smile2: