Skipjack substitute

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by GUP, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Hello all,

I am from Washington, MO. I have been watching this site for a while now. Lots of good info and tips here. I am really interested in getting fellow Missourians opinions on this, and would appreciate your input, especially those of you located near St. Louis. I have a post located in the "Blue Catfishing" forum and it's titled the same as this post. I have a bait that I believe to work as well as a Skipjack or shad on the river, and am trying to find if there is interest? There is more info at the other forum, would you guys mind checking it out?

Thanks,
    Jon Gupton

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What would this bait be?

3. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    It's a herring from the northern states. It's the same build as a Skipjack, the coloring is different. It from the same family of fish as Skipjack, "Alosa Chrysochloris". Has a blue/green tint to the scales on the back. They are 6"-7" long. The fish is really oily, smells like shad. I have been cutting the tail of and using a needle with a hook out the tail. Stays on the line really well.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There is no substitute for Skipjack or Shad, LOL!!!

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
  6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah JW, that's kinda what I was thinking as well.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Maybe he's just been hanging around Darryl.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Might be his brother, LMAO!!!

9. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Wow, tough crowd. Can't catch a break in this room can ya.

Dreadnaught,
    There are many different variations of Herring. The one we are all familiar with is called "skipjack" but it is a Herring. I am with you, if I am fishing a tournament, I'm leaving the ramp with Skipjack in my cooler. But, it gets expensive doing this every day. I buy 2 day old Skipjack driven straight from Alabama, that's about as good as it gets for me.

You guys are saying what I am saying! These fish are very similar to Skipjack only with blue/green scales on their backs. You fellas that are lucky enough to have no trouble catching Skipjack won't be interested in this. Those of us that have to pay $5, $6, $7 for 2 fish will be. The pricing on these fish are much better, that's why I think there will be interest in them 10-12pcs 6"-7" long for somewhere around $10. Much better investment in my opinion.

At any rate, thanks for the input, and the entertainment. It has been a pleasure.

GUP

10. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    So where are the pictures of the big blues you are catchin on these mystery herring?? I am actually north of Kansas City but I am always interested in another bait that catches fish. I personally have caught ALL of my fish over 30lbs on mooneyes. I have had no luck with skippys and have used them on several ocassions but i know they do work. And up here skippys are hard to come by.

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    welcome aboard jon

what part of missouri are you fishing?
    if your in the st. louis area. when thier running you can just about go to any dam and get you some. I caught some nice ones at chain of rocks, as well as alton. when you find a good run on skips you will never spend 7-10 bucks on two or three skips again

i myself is planning a trip to ky dam. I here that the skips are bigger and they are running in big schools down there. that might be a option for you as well

hope this help, & good luck:big_smile:

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

Gup,

Take a look at the above link. On the BOC, when we get frustrated and develope a new way of making something work, we usually post it in there for everyone to use. We mostly try to help each other out freely and for the betterment of everyone here. If you would like to advertise your product, contact Deerhunter01 for info on advertising rates. Thanks.

13. TccaJack

TccaJack New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i catch some of those herring in the il river i also bought them live at a bait shop in santee cooper. the guy there told me the were blue back herring

14. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Whistler,

Nice to meet you. I didn't mean to break any rules or anything like that. I am just trying to see if there is interest in an alternative. I am trying to help the guys near me by offering an alternative. I haven't sold any bait as a result of using your excellent website, if that helps. I am ONLY seeing if there is interest in it.

At any rate, I don't want to get kicked out so I guess that will be the end of the discussion. Thanks to all for your input and information. It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you all. See you around some other forums.

GUP

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I read at Wikpedia , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipjack_herring , skpjack are infact shad. I tried buying herring (before I discovered this) with a bait company on the east coast, it never came. All of the big fish I've caught has been on skipjack, but, I am up to try anything.

16. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Family Clupeidae--Herring Family

Alabama shad--Alosa alabamae
    skipjack herring--Alosa chrysochloris
    alewife--Alosa pseudoharengus
    gizzard shad--Dorosoma cepedianum
    threadfin shad--Dorosoma petenense

Skipjacks fall under the herring family as do shad also.

17. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    Vince,

Thanks for the input. Where abouts do you fish in St Louis. You go more on the Mississippi or Missouri? I usually hang out on the Missouri between Labadie and New Haven. I have never been on the Mississippi, but hope to try it one day. Everyone says you better have a good size boat, mine's an 18ft.

18. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I really like the Ohio and TN Valleys would be the rivers of choice. Here in St Louis we have many great places also on the MS and MO rivers.
    Your boat will do just fine. Come on over sometime when we have a Gateway Club get together this next year. All are welcome anytime.