Skipjack, skipjack and more skipjack

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Jan 15, 2010.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Put in at colesferry boat ramp at 3:30 pm today and went toward the Gallatin Steam Plant, Asa I was approaching the mouth of the discharge side I saw lots of seagulls diving, so I got a little closer and small shad was every where. I got a little closer and saw some skips jumping. I tossed out the anchor and got out my reel equiped with a basspro shop sabiki rig #6 and BAM two biggens at first cast. I was there from 3:45 to 5:30 and boated 35 skipjack. Lots of the them were good two pounders and catching two of them sizes at a time was the bomb! So now I have fresh bait for Sat. and fresh bait for Pondwater and I on Monday!

2. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    SWEET Bait trip CONGRATS !!!

3. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Good to hear. Thanks for the report..Good luck monday!!

4. festus

festus New Member

Good job Don. Maybe folks won't have to drive so far now. I hear skippies are bringing $9/lb in Knoxville.

What pound test line do you use for skippies, Don? I use about 12 lb. test, but need to go to 14. What I do is tie on a 1/64 oz jig then leave 4' on the tag end. About 10-12 inches down, I'll tie on a 1/32 oz jig, another 10" or 12" down, I tie on a 1/16 oz jig. Then down another foot or so I tie a 1/8 oz jig, then lastly, a 1/4 oz jig. The weight will be toward the bottom. The rig casts better and runs better this way. Only problem is sometimes one of those big @%&$# rockfish will hit and I lose my rig.

Got some good news yesterday. A fishing hole that there wasn't access to for a while for bank fishermen is now open. Well, it's been open, but no parking. I hadn't been down there in several years and sometime in the past either the state or county did a little excavating and there's at least room for a couple cars to park. GOOD NEWS!! Skippies should be there in a few weeks!

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

I use 12 pound test and a sabiki rig #6

6. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I use 8lb and have concidered trying 6 lb.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use heavier gear then you locals. I use 20 pound mono and a heavy action graphite rod. Noting like bringing 5 and 6 skips at once.

8. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

I was getting doubles and triples that went close to 2 pounds a piece on 12 pound test with no problems at all.

9. FishingMachine

FishingMachine New Member

State:
    Nashville,
    Thanks for the report I am going to try and get out Manday myself hopefully the Ships will still be at the Steam Plant.