Skipjack/Shad gathering???

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by whisker maniac, May 13, 2009.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Just an Idea I had... We've had gatherings and we've had sinker making gatherings... what about a skipjack/shad gathering???

This would help everyone that attends to get some good bait to take back home if we can choose a good place within the state to go and we catch em there.

Just a thought and it is up for discussion... would like to hear everyone's thoughts and views on the idea.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am in,if I can get a ride!

3. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    also while we are at it and if there is enough interest... we also need suggestions on where to have it where there is most of the time plenty of skips and shad.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I would suggest Lake Atkins for shad but a friend told me he went there and never caught anything, I could call Ken at Lucky Landing but who knows.

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Count me in!!

6. Galla Creek Arky

Galla Creek Arky New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I would like to go and learn how to throw a casting net. Verlon could ride with Me.

Larry

7. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Guys

I would be in for that, Top the reason I havent sent you the Pic's is because when I got the camera out the memory card was in the printer, so all of the pics I took didnt turn out, I know you are saying (((((yea yea yea ))))) LMAO !!!!! it is the truth

back to bait , Batesville was full of them last weekend, go across the White River bridge and turn in to the park to the left, park and walk down to the concrete wing, it is pretty close quaters, only room for two people, I think we would have done better with a dip net instead of the Sabiki Rigs, we got about 50 Shad, small Carp and a few Skip Jacks, I caught a 16" Brown Trout too not for bait ((LOL))) the Sabiki Rig was a #6 and red and white color, used a 3oz. weight,

I am thinking about going again Friday, it is pretty dangerous so you need to be careful, rocks are slick, if you ever feel in you would be in big trouble, I think one person with a dip net could fill up some coolers quick

buckethead

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    shad are not a problem to catch for me but i would like to have some more skips

9. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Same here. The shad are not a problem getting. But, the skipjack is a different story. I have put up three gallons of shad over the weekend and can get more pretty easy. Not a clue as to where to have a gathering that we can get a bunch. Would have to wait for water to go down some for the skips probably.

10. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    :sad2:The water is still way to high @ #5 there are no skips to be found until water goes down :angry:I know were to get shad best i can do for now:roll_eyes:. but would love to hook up with you guys if someone knew where skips are right now:smile2:.

11. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Well I did't mean that we would do this little bait gathering tomorrow. :eek:oooh:

I know the water is hight and really tough right now and that it will take a while for it to get back down.

The main thing is... is there enough interest in having a bait gathering and where would be the best place to have it???

First of all we need everyone's input on where in Arkansas is the best place to usually find and catch skips????.... and of course, depending on weather and the water cooperating, then we can start hashing out a good weekend to have it.

This will be a good opportunity for those that have never used or are a beginner at throwing a cast net to learn some tips and tricks from those that have been using them for years.

If it is a good enough place we could even combine the gathering and have another sinker pouring as well as a bait catching gathering.

But again first and foremost we need to see if there is enough interest from plenty of members to have one.

Second... we need everyone's input on where is the best place to find skips

Then finally we will hash out a date.

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    You sure are opening up a big easy for ole Coach to nail us as "Bait fisherman" Long standing joke....... :roll_eyes:The way things look it will be awile before the water is down to skip huntin..... Ive never been to Batesville but hear the boys up there gets skips all the time as was stated above. Im open.

13. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    if i was an arkie and i was looking for skipjack this time of year , my first phone call would be to tim ....... 4low ................ he just sold 300 lbs of skips for 1 buck a pound ............................wonder where he caught them????????? :wink:

14. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    :big_smile:Well kev you have been to #5 and it is a good place for skip and lead poring if the timing is right :cool2: Camp @ tar camp just down the road. just to throw 1st place in the hat but I am open for sugestion.:tounge_out:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm planning on making a trip to Pickwick in early June to stock up on skipjack. If anybody is interested in going, we can make it a mini-gathering.

16. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Well, it is true that the water is gonna have to go down some:smile2:. Any place that we might be able to catch some skips in ARKANSAS is fine with me. Not the most experienced at catching skips and got a lot to learn on catching them. So, I think we have some time to get some input as to where we might find them. With that said, come on guys, let's hear some of your skipjack tales and experience on catching skips in ARKANSAS and where would be the best place. I do think that PICKWICK is a far fetch from a ARKANSAS SKIPJACK/SHAD GATHERING, especially since that is in TENNESSEE!:roll_eyes: I plan on making that trip in September, but that is a totally different ballgame, in a totally different state!:wink:

17. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Good mornin BOC

I guess that I am like everyone else ((LOL)) I am not a Skip Jack Guru !! but would like to go , I would like to see how it is done, and learn how to throw a (((cast net ))) !!! I can throw one it just wont open up :)

I will keep watching this thread, it is a good idea,hope it happens, the rivers around here are starting to go down, will be another week before they are back to normal,it is pretty dangerous , if something happend to your motor you would be in trouble ((quick)))

Hope you all have a Great Memorial Day week-end,

cliff