skipjack report

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by tswebb71, Oct 21, 2008.

1. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Has anyone been to ky dam or barkley dam in the last week? I am thinking about heading down there but don't want to waste a trip!!

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I am in the same boat as you. I want to head down there this weekend or CC, TN. I gues I need to call Ken's and get an update. It is supposed to rain Friday. I don't know if that will do anything good or bad to the skips though.

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I don't know what the rain will do either. I guess it is a roll of the dice. I went down there two weeks ago and it wasn't good. Caught nothing at KY dam then moved over to Barkley and was able to catch around 30.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was there (Ky/Barkley) on Sat. watching people fish below the dams and trying to catch baitfish. If conditions haven't changed stay home. No one was catching skipjack. Wish I had better news.

5. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    My dad and brothers fished Blood River area for crappie and said the kids caught skips off the dock all day. They ended up catching some nice blues and channels with them that night.

6. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Skipjack are active in the Ohio river, around Louisville and upriver. We have been able to catch them at the mouths of creeks and at most all of the discharges. It happens under low light conditions, just before dawn or dusk. We are using Sabiki rigs to catch them. Good luck, Dave

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for this valuable update. I know it is sure frustrating to try and catch them when nothing is available

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how big are they up there? all we have are really small ones around here...

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    What are you calling small? 5-7 inches is just about the perfect size for using them whole. Sometimes I get frustrated when I can not catch any this size

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i like skipjack to be at least 12" long of bigger!

11. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    The big Skippies, 8"-15" or larger, can be caught at the hot water discharges. The smaller ones, 6"-8", are at the mouth of the creeks and most any of the surface disharges. The size of the jig plays into it as well. The bigger Skips will hit the bigger jigs, if they are there.

12. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    went to Barkley dam today and caught 60 in about 3 hours. Pretty fun afternoon:smile2:

13. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Stopped by the Newburg Dam yesterday at dusk and caught about 30 baby skips and 1 large one in a half hour. The sabaki rig was gettin 3 at a time. High side of the dam throwing where they were popping. The larger one hit on the jig at the end of my rig. Get after them before they are gone!!

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    thanks for the report

15. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Okay, I am pretty new here. I recall catching some "shad" when I was younger and we were fishing in KY or Barkley Lakes. We had a ball, and I really like it up there. I recall us using some shad darts to catch some "shad" back then too, near the dam. This was like 30 years ago, so forgive me. Anyway, were these Skipjacks, or what? They were pretty big, like a white bass. I remember one jumping and getting a jig hanging out of the water!
    Could y'all post a picture of one of them- not something out of a book. Maybe I have a bait source I don't know about. Are these shad only in streams. below dams?
    Thanks

16. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Skipjacks are a hearing they are caught in some of the same waters as shad, but you usually wont catch a shad on rod and ree,l they eat plankton and small invertabrates. On the same note you usually wont catch skips in a cast net they are just too fast. There may be shad that hit baits but not the ones we have around here.

17. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    That was what I was asking. Do you figure the things we were catching, instead of shad (what we called them) were actually skipjacks?
    Thanks!

18. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    I fished Greenup L&D yesterday and the skipjacks were not there. VERY slow fishing was hoping to load up with bait for today so I could catfish but no luck. Guess I will have to use the backup. Good luck fishing.