Skipjack report

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by slider, Feb 5, 2009.

1. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    Was thinking of headen down to ky dam and barkley dam to catch some
    skipjacks has anybody heard if they are doing any good

thanks
    slider

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    No I haven't heard anything on those dams but the fish and camp is this weekend and there are a lot of guys going to CC steam plant. Should be able to get in touch with someone to see how they are doing. There will be several guys fishing this evening and tomorrow morning. I think Branden and some guys from the west are going. All the info is on the gathering section. Its a little further but well worth it if the skips are running.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I heard the skipjack bite on Ky Dam and Barkley were slow at best Slider man. Like Punkin said, Cumberland City seems to be the hotspot right now.

4. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    thanks for the reply will have to see how it unfolds

thanks again
    slider

5. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I think Behiter headed down this weekend may be he'll have a update?

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I was fishing Cumberland City this past weekend. I saw Brad Kilpatrick and Brandon Swashbuckler catching skippies. I also saw people on the bank catching some. It didnt seem real fast to me but then I didnt stay long. We fished for real fish. I caught 3 Friday with big fish being 8or 9 pounds and Saturday my son caught a 21.60lber right off the bat and i caught a 5 or 6 lber same place. Only fish we caught all day. But the 21 was my sons PB to date. Got to spend a weekend with my son, his wife and my grandaughter. PRICELESS!!!! Also talked to Whistler and Bam. They had good days on Thursday and Friday. Dont know how Sat. went for them.
    Oh so I dont get Skippy asking, there is a creek about 2 miles up river where I got lots of shad for bait. I was fishing the inside bends where the wind was blocked and finding laydowns to fish above. Usually about 15 to 20 feet of water.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Bob, are you sure they were SHAD? Send me a pic for positive ID! I know some of you other guys can get it all mixed up once in a while.:roll_eyes:

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We did pretty good on the skips. They were biting well (seemed like better for the other guys than for me:eek:oooh:) and it was good to see a familiar face, even if it was Bob:smile2:

Bob it was good seeing you and glad to hear your son got a new PB! Matt, Craig, Brad, and I came home with a few skips and other than being a little groggy from lack of sleep on Friday it was a fun trip.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Bob

It was good to finally meet you, sort of:tounge_out: We saw you pulled up on the bank in a few spots anyways, I was out on one of those pontoons that kept going by.

10. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Wow Gary, I wish you would have stopped in and talked for a while. I would not have minded at all. I was there to meet people and fish but the fishing was a little slow on Saturday, after we caught the two.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Bob, We weren't real confident that that was you until after the fact, otherwise we would have pulled up.

12. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hopefully there will be another chance soon. Till then good fishing Gary.

13. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Well I got back on sunday from cumberland city and I brought back about 700-800 lbs. of skips. I met alot of nice people down there. I seen the KC group right across from us I met some people from Arkansas.Hey Bob was that you idleing back and forth across the channel all day long it seemed like.

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Gimme some skips!:smile2:

Don't hide 'em ....... divide 'em!:smile2:

Just kidding, congrats on a great trip!

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ryan and i got 120 Skips in 4 hours yesterday at Cumberland City. The Fish were down deep. You had to give em a good 10 count to get the sabikis down deep enough with 1/8 ounces of weight.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Or if it's Ryan, half a Bud Light instead of a 10 count :smile2: Glad to hear you guys got stocked up on bait. Hope you stick some monsters!