Skipjack Questions?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by river_rat_42, Mar 9, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here in another month or so when it starts getting warmer out, is about the time that I will start fishing the river REALLY early in the morning (like 5:30 or 6 a.m.) and in the past 2 years that i've been fishing: as soon as the sun starts comin' up is when I start seeing fish that are working the surface. There are things I'll see such as a school of minnows flipping across the top of the water as if being chased by something, and sometimes I see big splashes on the top of the water, along with other fish movement on the surface. So, are these skipjack that I am seeing or what? If so what would be some really good baits to through out and try to catch one? I've heard of little white grubs and such, but, will other baits work too? THANKS

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Craig,
    I will assume you are talking about water with current such as the outlet of a hydro or a gate. They could easily be skips or maybe stripers, white bass or hybrids. Best thing is get in there and catch them. White curlytails, 2 or 3 to a rig will work as will the tiny fish skin sabiki rigs. They usaully come as a 6 hook rig. I cut them in half and fish them as a 3. I also have success on skips with small bucktail jigs and roadrunners. Good luck...W

3. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I catch all my skipjack below a dam with turbines running. I rig up 3 or 4 of the old style crappie jigs (pink, purple, yellow, green or whatever) on the line with a half ounce weight on the bottom. It'll cast a mile and if your lucky, you can catch 2 or 3 on each cast.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I agree with each of the above responses. Remember skips like swift water!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm sure that any lure that mimics a shad, or is flashy, would catch skipjack, but I've had 10# test line broken several times when more than one 2# skippie was on at the same time. Losing a $3-$5 plug hurts a lot more than losing a couple of crappie jigs.

6. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I'm fishing for skipjack I use a large minnow about 3' under a bobber and just let it drift.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would like to get my hands on some skipjacks.

8. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    me too can't seem to find any

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea me to I haven,t been able to go but will be soon:sad2:

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    is a skipjack the same thing as a gizzard shad? anyone got a pic of a skipjack they could post?? thanks

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Wheres coach at when we need him?????? He may be the best person to ask as he is the authority on skipjack fishin.

Angela they are a herring. The best description i can give is it looks like a silverside minnow that gets up to two pounds.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Angela heree Ya go

skipjack pic

13. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.