Skipjack Questions.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by deadly_legend, May 27, 2009.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Today we went out and bought 3 skipjacks, more like the size of catfish i am used to catching if you ask me, but we got em, and i was curious as to how small/big we cut them up into and what size hooks would work best. We currently have 8/0 circle hooks, but since we have to take a few things back to Bass Pro, was wondering if we should go bigger or not. But thanks for any input and tips.

Josh

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were did you buy skipjack?? wish you would have said something i have a couple hundred!!! just cut them in chunks like 1inch squares to start with .. also the guts are good bait to!!

3. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Well, im in Floyd Knobs currently, will be for a week, then i head to Alabama. But thats alot of skipjack!!!! And thanks for the size info :big_smile:

4. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I wish I could find a place to buy skipjack around here! I could catch em myself but often its hard for me to find the time. I wish there was a cheap way for you to ship me a few of yours, but I got a feeling, they would spoil by the time they got to me.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The size you cut your skipjack into is probably more a matter of personal preference than anything else, unless you're specifically targeting big fish. Obviously, a small fish can't eat a great big bait. But I've seen commercial catfishermen using cut shad half the size of the last joint of my little finger. Obviously, this worked great for them, or they'd change it. Personally, I cut mine into chunks about the size of the last joint of my thumb; and whenever possible, I have a piece of skin attached so I can run the hook through it so it stays on better. Remember, whenever you run your hook through the skin, check the point afterward to make sure you don't have a scale on it.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    8/0 hooks are pretty big if your using smaller sized baits. with and 8/0 hook i use a pretty good chunk of bait. But i have caught some really nice cats using 2/0 circle hooks and smaller pieces of bait. But i will admit im not a pro and havent been catfishing my whole life. So I learn something new all the time. Like drifting for cats. Happened by accident, my ancore rope broke and i started drifting. We thought we might catch a striper or two, but we caught a bunch of cats. I learn by trial and error myself. I take all the info i get from seasoned catmen and i try them out myself. Good luck to ya. SGTREDNECK over and out