Skipjack question...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Colsrob, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Can skippies be found in central Ohio? My thinking is that about the only place likely, would be the Scioto. But even with that, I have no idea. I need better insight, from someone with more of a clue than myself. More would equate to...some.:big_smile:

By central Ohio, I mean Alum, Scioto, Olentangy and even Hoover I suppose, even though I have no boat to fit there, I guess a bank spot might work.

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    No skipjack around here Rob. Unless you count the frozen ones that R & R carries.:wink: Nearest place would be the Ohio River or a tributary very near where it dumps into the Ohio.

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus

Thanks Garrett. That's pretty much what I thought, but figured I would ask anyway.:big_smile:

It makes you wonder though: Why haven't they migrated up the Scioto? Are they that afraid of new things, that a trip too far from the Ohio is out of the question? Or, are they just a lazy fish, and that trip is more than they are willing to do?:smile2:

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I assume it's mostly because Skipjack aren't real tolerant of turbid water. They need water pretty high in oxygen content to survive. They're not the hardiest baitfish in freshwater and it's next to impossible to keep them alive for long in a bait tank.

5. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have to agree with Garrett. i have tried keeping skips alive in a livewell but they ended up in the freezer. i wish i could get my hands on some right now:wink: