Skipjack problems

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Jul 28, 2008.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A friend and I were talking yesterday about skipjacks. We catch them on Hartwell here and there but never actually look for them. Both of us have used them for bait but haven't caught a thing on them.

We have used them live,freashly dead, frozen, heads, guts, tails, filleted, on bottom, down rods, drifting...every way I could think of.

Any of you folks have any advice it would be appreciated. We know and hear how good they are but we haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks
    -Jim-

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Johnny I believe you are referring to a hickory shad. they make good cut bait but are next to impossible to keep in a bait tank unless it is very large and has pure oxygen in it. I prefer to use the body section when I can catch some. havent had much luck on the head part. I also seem to have better luck with them in the spring when they come up the lake instead of during the summer when they go to deeper water.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jim, I think that Ron is right. I don't believe that there are skipjacks in SC :crazy:

4. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ah, I see. I'm trying to load a picture but I always have problem on this thing.

We find them in deep water while running lights using threadfins for bait. Them suckers fight pretty good and will jump 3' out of the water. The ones I have are around foot long.

And yea they don't stay alive, ya gotta catch them and throw them right back out.

Thanks
    -Jim-

Odd thing this year also is that I havent caught one catfish on a bream/gill...strange.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
  6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    We use to catch hickory shad like mad in May with jigs just like you would the skippies. I haven't caught them in a long time. The population isn't as heavy as they use to be.

7. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Thanks Joey. I looked around and found the same site after Ronald informed me about the hickory shad. I did go look and the other frozen ones we have and yep,,, they are hickory shad alright , the lower jaw goes out further than the top.

We started catching them and then we were misinformed on what they were I guess , LOL .

-Jim-

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
  9. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    The dorsel fin is also different , on the Hickory it's more squared off on the back. The skippies are tappered off near the back of the dorsel. The color is different also. If you could lay them side by side you could see the difference.