Skipjack preservation

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kaskas, Jan 15, 2006.

1. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know that skippys are one of the best baits for blues. I've been fishing where I could have caught them all day and then had days were we went without them. My uncle said that when they are froze after they are thawed they don't stay well on the hook. What do you guys do with them to get them prepared to use them to fish. I have heard that some have used the vacum packing method. Do you freze them whole or cut, in water or without?
    Thanks Aaron

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    definitley get your self a good vacuum sealer. you must freeze the fish before you seal them or they wont seal right. the thing i do that makes them stay on the hook better is i try not let them thaw out all the way. they will thaw plenty when they get into the water. they will get mushy if they are too thawed. i would also freeze them whole.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While a good vacuum sealer is probably well worth the money, you don't have to have one to freeze skipjack. To freeze the 300# or so we brought back from Pickwick last spring, I wrapped them in Saran Wrap...one big one, down to several small ones per package. Before that, I would put them in the bottom of a Wal Mart bag and roll it up to get out as much air as possible. I have ablolutely no trouble with skipjack being mushy after being frozen once. Now, if you freeze one, thaw it out, refreeze it, thaw it out again, it starts to get a little softer. After freezing and thawing 3 times, I find that they do start to get so mushy that they start getting hard to keep on the hook. Once I thaw that skippie the third time, if I don't use it, I toss it.

4. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I've never tried vacuum sealing them but I hear it's a good method.

As for me, I just take the fillets in one pile, guy pockets in another and the heads in the last pile and seal them all in separate ziplocks with no water. Then I deep freeze everything and take out what I want as I need it.

The freeze very, very well and stay on the hook every bit as good as they did when they were fresh. Just don't microwave them later to thaw them out because they will turn as soft and mushy as cheap tuna. Let them thaw out on thier own.

Steve

5. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys for the excelent advice. We are going to give it a try next time were down at the union town dam. Last year we really missed having the skippys in good supply, I hope this year will be different.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Everyone's got their own method, and I'm not suggesting that anyone change something that's working for them, but I prefer not to cut the skipjack before freezing it because I feel that cutting it first loses some of the blood and juices.

7. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I Vac Seal Unthawed And They Are Just Has Caught Them.