skipjack, out of place?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by holmesridge, Sep 4, 2005.

1. holmesridge

holmesridge New Member

I have some frozen skips. I was wondering, how well they would work in a lake. The lake doesn't have any skips in it.

2. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    ive heard people call menhadden skipjack,and ive heard people call blueback herring skipjack. What ive found is this, i took some frozen menhadden back to indiana with me this spring to a gravel pit that doesnt have shad, menhadden, herring or any of that, but houses some pretty nice channel and flathead. I caught 4 on those baits and missed one on fresh cut bluegill. As a rule ive always believed fresh bait is better than frozen, and i still do. But some baitfish are for some reason absolutely irresistable to cats. To me, frozen menhadden works better than even fresh bluegill, provided the menhadden arent thriving in that water at that time. Frozen bream gets little results period, and frozen blueback herring doesnt much work either. But in the off season, or in a lake that doesnt have them, Menhadden(bugmouth, alewife, skipjack) work really well, even frozen...But better fresh! I hope that wasnt confusing..If so, im sure somebody will clarify.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, it's certainly worth giving skipjack a try in that lake, so long as you are aware that it may or may not work well. After all, we sometimes do very well with such baits as chicken or pork parts, which are obviously not natural to any waters we fish. Until you actually give a bait a try under various conditions and at various times, you won't really know whether it works in a particular location or not. For instance, fresh cut shad almost always work great in the Arkansas River, but when I tried them on Lake Ouachita, they didn't catch a fish, even though that lake has a large shad population. Switching to chicken livers at the same locations resulted in a nice catch of cats. Stay flexible!

4. holmesridge

holmesridge New Member

Thank you for the advice. I had planned on going to a local lake this evening, but I changed my mind. I plan on fishing the Ohio River in the morning(Early). I have been slaying them the past few days (on the Ohio). All on skipjack herring.

5. speedy1_36

speedy1_36 New Member

State:
    Bruce,Mississippi
    I live in north MS and have never seen a skipjack is there anywhere to catch or buy them in the area? I am dying to try them after all the posts. Thanks

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    speedy start checking out the Arkansas thread under Arkansas talk, go the skip jack post. we will be post more info in the near future.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here is a link to a page on skipjack, showing picture and area of USA inhabited by them.

8. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Please post the link again, I belive it did not come through :confused:

Mike

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Again go to the Arkansas talk under skip jack post. I posted some pictures of some skips there.