Skipjack or Shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Rottdog, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone, I have read numerous posts stating that Skipjack is a wonderful bait. My question is I don't know anything about Skipjack, is it a river fish only or do Skipjacks live in lakes also? I throw a cast net at the lakes that I fish and I'm usually able to round up some shad but can't say that I have ever seen a Skipjack.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to this question,
    Garrett

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Garrett, I've been catfishing for a long time, mainly the Mississippi River and Mark Twain Lake, and I 've only ran into skipjack one time. That was on the Mississippi River around Louisiana MO. That's all we caught in our throw nets. We couldn't even buy a shad that weekend. I think skipjack works just as good as shad. Shad are alot easier to find for me though. Good Luck

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    i've used shad, skips and those darn asian carp...i have had alot of luck using all three...but here lately it seems that the carp have been producing more fish

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Skipjack are so much faster than shad it's really hard to catch them in a net. They're usually caught with R&R, using a sabiki rig, a couple of crappie jigs rigged in tandem, or a small shiny spoon of some sort, fishing fast water below a dam, powerhouse, or off the ends of jetties sticking out into the current.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i would take any of them for bait at any given time. you use what ya can get....all of them have produced well for me.

cyas
    robert

6. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    I make a 220 mile trip to Kentucky and Barkley Dams, maybe 2 X's a year to get skip jack if I can.
    For me, they are the best cut bait !
    Yes ! Shad are a good bait and all. But, if you can get skip jack , so much the better. Alot of time is spent i Netting and shuch! But you waite alot of energy on thee bait , just to throw iut a wway
    I like to wrap each skipjack in 2 sheet's of newspaper and freeze them in freezer bag's. They are easy to pull a part as you need and don't contaminate other food's.
    Now this is where we are a way from dam,'s and city obstrustion's and grain mill's where we fish.
    We bring these home to ST. Genievie, Mo.
    Up from the rock Quare at estabishment creek and the sand barr's.
    Problem is , we have run out of skip jack and are in desprit need of our skip jack to catch em.
    So We are going this weekend anb on Easter weekendto get our year'ly supply

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You might want to consider making the Pickwick gathering the last weekend in April. This yearly event got started by several of us going over just to stock up on skipjack.

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    How about a little more info on that? I'm actually heading down to Kentucky lake the last weekend in April and then over to Cumberland and Laurel lakes later that week. Wouldn't mind meeting some the folk from here if your gonna be down there.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    On the first page you see after signing on, scroll down to 'Gatherings' & click on it. Scroll down to Pickwick Spring Gathering and click on it. All the info is there.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm with Tom. I'll take skipjack anyday over shad. As Gary said, they can be hard to come by in our section of the river. But there are several folks that get together everyear on skipjack fishing events and they can be a blast. AS well, the skippys keep good if you take care of them correctly.