Skipjack or shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Cutshad, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Ok, I am looking for some good info on where I can catch some bait. Going fishing soon and I will need both skipjack and shad. Can you guys let me know where I can harvest a few before Sept. 7,-10. I'll have plenty of live perch, just need some good fresh cutbait. Thanks in advance, Brian Martin

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Brian,

There's plenty of shad in Oolagah and the Verdigris river flowing into the lake. This time of year all the shad hatches from the spring are out in the main body of the river and the creek. You can look down at big creek at the ramp and usually see quite a few large schools of shad at the surface. We rarely have any problem catching more than enough shad there. Skipjack on the other hand are pretty limited in where you can catch them. There pretty much only in the lower portions of the Navagation Channel Locks 16, 15 and 14. There's some in the Arkansas river but no very many this time of year. You should be more than fine with your perch and shad you catch at the river.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd also see if you can get Goldeye. For me goldeye is usually number one. Sometimes the cats will hit on shad instead, but Goldeye has proved to be a great bait for me.

4. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Thanks Chris, I was a little worried about getting bait and knew I wouldn't have near enough perch. I'll have 3 or 4 dozen but, as you well know, that's not near enough. Makes me feel better about the shad. I'll be able to net plenty. Thanks again, and I hope to see you up there. Brian Martin

5. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Tyler, I don't think I would know a goldeye if I saw one!!!!!!:lol: I have never used them for bait, unless they are carp or goldfish??