Skipjack or herring

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 27, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    can sobody help me out and tell me where i can get fresh shad or skipjack in ohio i would rather buy them than catch them though

2. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    to be honest, its so easy to catch shad, and so hard to find somewhere that sells em. Just get a 10-15$ cast net, throw it out in a pond or creek somewhere and use the green ears bluegill or shad u or chubs u get. So easy, so cheap :)

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can buy packaged shad.. not as good as the fresh stuff.., i like shad, but also catch fish on alot of other cuts..if shad isn't very accessible to you, don't be afraid to try other fish such as shiners, or chubs...if your really wanting live shad prob. have to go get em.:cool2:

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Slow down there Chris, lol Bluegill are illegal to net in Ohio. I don't know what a Green ear is, can you explain what they look like?:smile2:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jack I believe a green ear is another type of sunfish and yes you are right they are illegal to use if caught in a cast net.

6. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks i have used a cast net and got a bunch of chubs which are fine but i am really wanting skipjack or shad

7. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Illegal? I was totally unaware. Im glad u guys said something, so if i go back ot the way i used to do it and catch em with a small pole its legal?

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  9. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It reads
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Fish caught by legal angling methods (such as bluegills caught by hook and line) may be used for bait." [/FONT]

But it does not say you cannot catch them in a casting net. As long as i catch them between 9pm and 4am it appears im doing nothing wrong.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Chris buddy, in your post above it already stated the legal method for Bluegill is hook and line.
    Here is another page that explains it more. Read about forage fish then read the cast net section.

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/wildlife/Fishing/fishregs/main.htm

The time constraints are for the Lake Erie Fishing District, Seining is prohibited between 9 p.m. and 4 a.m.

11. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for all this info, i have learned alot. I dont mean to make it seem like im arguing or cause any flaming or whatever. But i jsut dont see anywhere that it says "you cannot use bluegill or any other sunfish for that matter obtained from a casting net as bait." Im really trying to find it but i just dont see it. I see all this stuff about regualtions of the net but my net meets them. Although bluegill or perch are not mentioned in the "forage fish" category, it says that forage fish can be taken by a casting net, correct me if im wrong but i do not know for sure but, isn't this the inland fishing district in preble county ohio?

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Forage Fish
    FORAGE FISH means freshwater drum (in the Lake Erie fishing district only), carp, quillback, suckers, bowfin, gar, buffalo, gizzard shad, and goldfish. These species may be taken by any method except by means of explosives, poisons, firearms, electricity, chemicals, nets, seines, or traps, or by snagging within 1,000 feet downstream of a dam. Gizzard shad and smelt may be taken with a minnow seine, minnow dip net, or hand landing net.

Info
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet.[/FONT]

Blue Gill

Blue Gills for Bait

13. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Chris here is a reply from the ODNR this should clear it up for you

Referring page: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/

NO castnets cannot be used for the taking of bluegills or any other game fish cast nets cannot be used to take gamefish. ONLY forage fish.
    They can be caught by hook and line and then kept to use for catfish.

WILD INFO

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:15 AM
    To: Wildinfo
    Subject: Comments from users

tony spergin at tspergin@hotmail.com

Sir,I would like to clear up a matter about using a castnet to catch
    bluegills for bait in the state of ohio,I have a few friends who say it
    is legal to castnet for bluegills and I have been under the impression
    it was illegal.thanks for the clarification

Tony Spergin

14. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks bud. That settles it.

15. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is Greenup one of the dams where you are not allowed to take bait by net or traps in the tailwaters?
    Jake