SkipJack on the Missouri - Can anyone find some?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Terry Day, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Is there any Skip Jack here in Missouri? I use Gizzard Shad but don't think that I have seen any Skip Jack. A lot of the brothers seem to swear by them, but are they available to us (around KC)?

I have seen the flying river carp (first hand). Sevral times I have had to or thought that I needed to duck!! Apparently, they are good cut bait! Am I reading the posts correctly?

Can't wait until spring!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yes there is skip jack in the missouri river. There is just about everything in the river. Although A Lot of people confuse the mooneye and skip jack with each other. Yes you are correct "flying carp" are great cut bait.

3. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Crazy,

Where do I catch them on the river? Around the wing dykes, outlet creeks or just around cover?

Also, where is the best place on the river to net shad? I have no problems finding them on the lakes, but the river is another story!

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Terry Day, If you have a hot water out near you try there, especially in the winter. Also below a dam, catch them running the turbines [generating Elect.] the skips here will go on a feeding frenzy! They get easy to catch at this time. go read the skip jack post in the arkansas section, we have skip jack info there. also I down loaded some pictures of skips there.

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks TopSgtLawance,

I don't know of any warm water outlets in my area - or - dams for that matter. I will check out the Arkansas site.

6. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Sorry Verlon - I spelled your name wrong. Not my strongest suit!

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Terry

You might also try fishing for Goldeye. I catch them by floating a chunk of worm 12-24 inches below a bobber in the swirlback below wingdams, using a bluegill / crappe sized hook. It's a slow process, but they are there, I figure I averaged about 1 per hour. I usually have 2 poles out for catfish while I do this.

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Gary,

I will try to catch them there. Maybe sometime we can hook up and you can help be catch one of those biguns for my picture.

Terry

9. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Hey Top.

If you're still there - I went to the Arkansas site and could not find the information on the Skipjacks. Could you tell me how to navigate the site to find the information?

I enjoyed reading the Arkansas posts. Graduated from Bolivar, Missouri, not too far north of you!

10. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Spoonfish,

Went there and found it. I have a lot to learn about navigating this web site. As long as you all don't mind answering questions I'll be fine!

Terry

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, the reason skipjack are so good as catfish bait is because they're very oily and bloody. The shad in our area may be as bloody as skipjack, but they aren't very oily at all. Someone told me that mooneye are very oily (I've never seen one in the flesh); if they are, they should make good cat bait.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Terry, Sounds good. There is some great blue catting around here starting in late March, running into May. I've been mostly a bank fisherman, but I do venture out from the Parkville ramp on my little boat once in a while, fishing between Parkville anywhere up to about Waldron.