Skipjack lures.

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by tncatfishing, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have mostly fished for skipjack with crappie jigs, but recently I have taken small treble hooks and tied the skirts off of some bass top water lures to them and they have worked realy good. Has anyone else thrown something simple together and had it work?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One time I didn't have any jigs ..so I took a piece of red rubber band and put it on a hook and .....BAM...skipjack city

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    What I have noticed is skipjack will hit a bare treble hook with nothing else on it.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I'll tie 4 or 5 gold crappie hooks(size 4) on my line then one jig on the end for casting weight. I use solid body curly tails on the hooks, they stay in place real well.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    2 or 3 small white crappie jigs about a foot apart! I have used "sabiki" rigs, but the BIG skipjack break them!

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have, I take a little size 14 gold treble hooks and make a stinger about an inch behind the jig for when they are not hitting it. There are days when they chase it but seem to miss it everytime well that little treble hook fixes that.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I guess ive just taken the easy way out and just stuck with the store bought sabiki rigs. rspd507

8. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    went to cumberland city a few times this year an there was an older guy an woman down there that was using spones an they were tearing them up an no one eles was so on the next trip i bought some an we tore them up as well they seam to work

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    like bill said the little chrome spoon really worked good last time we were down there!! there was a guy using a small white crank bait also and he was doing really well also...

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have used spoons, jigs, topwater, and spinners. To me it seems like when they are hitting good, they will attack anything. The best thing I have found to get your bait in the boat quick is 12# test with 3 red head, black body and white tail crappie jigs. Tie them about a foot apart then hang on cause doubles and triples are common. Thats where the need for heavier line comes in. Once you get the bait you need in the boat, tie on a suspending white minnow about 3 or 4 incher. Twitch it like you would a rapala once it is about a foot under the surface..... Man they go crazy! But you miss alot and they throw the hook thats why you need to get your bait in the tank first.

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have used alumium foil on hooks ,they will hit about anything !

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What size spoons? Thanks

13. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    I like to use them roadroader with a chrome blade and a white grub. Caught a few 3 lb

14. RonH

RonH New Member

State:
    tn
    I have traditionally used 1, 2, or 3 red head white bodied crappie jigs with much success, The problem with these is they don't hold up very long when your really "in the bait". I found a solution to this several years ago at Panama City Beach. We, my sons and I , used what they call a bubble rig to catch the fire out of Ladyfish and I have applied the parts of this rig to my skipjack fishing. Tie a length of 30 lb test to a swivel, then slide a small piece of white drinking straw up the line then tie your prefered size hook. The straw will rest in the crook of the hook. Repeat for however many jigs you want on the rig. Now you have a cheap, very durable, homeade sbiki rig. Another tip is to store these I use a length of circular foam, like the swim noodles you get at walmart. Hook wrap, hook wrap, etc. Hope this helps someone.

15. bigchopcatman

bigchopcatman New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Me and a friend went down to cumberland city today. Found out it is harder than we thought to cacth those skippies. Any helpful hints on how to work a jig would be helpful. Thank You!

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    just chunk it out let sink 1 to 2 foot and reel fast enough to keeo it there

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of the time, a fast retrieve keeping the lures up near the surface will produce best, but at times, you'll do better by letting the lures sink and use a twitch & pause retrieve. I've run into situations where I had to let the lures sink anywhere from 3 to 20 seconds before beginning my retrieve. But be sure to watch for hits while the lures are sinking, too.

18. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I tie my own flies for trout fishing so what I do is get 4 or 5 hooks and tie so white deer hair on them, then tie them on about 1 foot apart with a sinker at the bottom for weight. Its a lot cheaper then buying a rig and it can be made in about 5 mins. plus I have caught 4 shipjack at 1 time.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Shoot, far as that goes, I've tied a few strands of regular knitting yarn onto my hooks, and caught skipjack on them. A white deer hair streamer should look just like a shad to the skipjack.