Skipjack in Nebraska

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by suddawg, Apr 5, 2006.

1. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Does anyone use Skipjack Herring for bait on the Missouri or any other rivers? Myself and TA2D use Shad religiously, but hear that Skipjack are oilier. I've read that you can catch them on crappie jigs/grubs, along with sabaki rigs.

We're trying to figure out how to catch them, just to see how good they really are bait wise. Any help on rigs, and where to fish for them would be most appreciated.

SudDawg

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As far as fishing for them I really havent had any luck because I havent really tried. We usually catch them in nets when we are lucky, but sabaki rigs and white curly tails work the best I hear. Usually in tailraces and warm water discharges. My buddy did catch a nice skippy at Kentucky Lake this weekend throwing a jig off a dock. Its in the freezer!:) But yea skippies are my favorite bait and I love to use them and the cats love them. Try some jiggin for them, not sure about your area, but try around dams and that! Good luck and Im sure someone on here will know more!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I will fish with Skipjack almost all the time, Shad are my second choice!!! If I don't have these, I don't go!!!

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I appreciate all the help. I've read that they're in the Missouri, which we live only 10-15 minutes away. So when I get back from Kuwait later this summer myself and TA2D are going to try and figure out how to acquire some. Thanks again.

SudDawg

5. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Y'all keep on saying around dams, but the closest dam around here (suddawg and I are in the same general area) is gavins point up in S.D. and almost all of the powerplants around here use cooling pools instead of dischargin right into the river.
    So any ideas on catching them in the open river??? I'm gonna go out this weekend to Wilson Island and I wanna try getting a few.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Hey Mazdabob, where do you usually fish? I can't find a good place to fish at night on the Missouri in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. Most places in town close after 10 or so in the summer.

I used to fish on Lake Manawa a lot, when I first got stationed up at Offutt. My first apartment was on the Iowa side, right passed the fox run golf course.
    I should of stayed on that side (cheaper taxes :crying: ) There's a nice bait shop that I use to go to all the time right by Lake Manawa. I think it was called Woods Sporting goods, but they allways had various amounts of bait including; minnows, goldfish (large/small,) crawdads, creek chubs, crawlers you name it. Good people too.

SudDawg

7. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A little off topic but, Shane you be careful over there. And when you get back, let's all us Nebraska boys get together and go fishin!!;)

8. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Yeah i have the same problem finding places at night around here, so I usually stick to Manawa or cave in and buy a camping permit for I can stay all night at Wilson Island, Narrows river access, or the river access in Manawa state park. I do have a neighbor who owns a cabin on the Iowa side about a mile and half down river from the S. Omaha bridge, and he said he'll let me fish there whenever I want this summer. I haven't checked it out yet though.
    Woods is the only baitshop in town now, and I believe they're moving to a new location pretty soon. They are great people, I went to school with some of their family.

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks strohcephus. I'm actually pretty lucky this go around. This is my fifth deployment (last two were Afghanistan and Iraq.) I say lucky because I'm on a NAVY camp, which means I'll still get some fishing in this summer.

My rotation is up around the middle of August, so I'll still get some time in back home. Thanks again everyone.

SudDawg

10. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    you can catch the skippies in on the down river side of wing dikes in the eddies. i use a cast net and let it drop really far down before i pull up. just make sure their isn't a tree or snag under the surface cause those things are a mess when they get snagged. someone asked about an alternative to omaha river access, i take my boat down to schilling right outside of plattsmouth their is also an excellent bait shop on the way down there.

11. Dull Hook

Dull Hook New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I live in Fremont. As far as getting skippies, we usually try around Blair and up by Tekamah. Get behind a wind dam and throw your rigs as far out as you possibly can. Then... just keep jerking and change up on your speed every so often. I "always" take a cooler half full of ice and put them in there as soon as they are out of the water.

The most I've ever gotten is 3 in one cast, but...not very often!! Then, I will usually cut them in pices and fish with them. They are VERY good bait. Better by far then minnows.

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks Dull Hook. I hear those skipjack are awesome bait.

SudDawg

13. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you will catch some carp and cut them into 1" X 2" chunks they are real good bait and freeze well too. The carp chunks do not get soft like frozen shad does. Try it I think you will be pleased. Cut carp works great on trotline and jug fishing.
    catman george

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks for the carp cutbait tip Catman George. I look forward to trying it out when I get back to the states in August.

SudDawg

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi.Shane Thank you for your service!!! I live in Co. Bluffs Ia. and fish the river all the time. there are skipjack in the missouri river and have cought them but there far and fue between. there are some realy good spots close to offutt air base, one being at the mouth of mosquito creek about 300 yards below the discharge chute of the power plant. there is a big log jam on the inside bend where the mosquito joins the missouri. I know of two 50# pound flats comming out of that spot last year and 2 twenty pound channels this year on cut bait, bluegill,shad and live chubs. I know several other places also. When you get back p.m. me and I'll take you out and we'll try and put some in the boat. I also have a cabin on the missouri up at blenco Ia. and have cought some nice Flats and a fue blues up there. and If you realy want to catch some nice channels we have to go down to lake Miszingo outside marysvill Mo. Awsome!!! Good luck and may the good lord be with you Be safe. Bigcatman0816.

16. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Sounds great jdstraka. Myself and TA2D have spent our lives fishing mostly ponds, lakes, small rivers either on the bank or in a canoe. Although we consistently catch fish, we've really wanted to get out on the mighty MO to hook into something with a little more size. One of TA2D's fishing buddies told him, he's seeing the Skipjack jumping around his boat around the confluence of the Little Nemaha River and the Missouri, so TA2D is going to try and get ahold of some. Thanks again, and I'll definately give you a holler when i get back.

SudDawg

17. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    I've still come up short on trying to catch some. I've been trying everytime i get out to river though.

18. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  19. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    SUDDAWG-

Several catfishing friends have used cut carp for bait for years. It is very bloody and does not go soft after being frozen. The catfish are in the rivers and on the rip rap spawning in Oklahoma. Looking forward to my annual catfishing trip to Lake Merritt and the refuge lakes up by Valentine.

I may get to go see my catfishing buddy, Tom Lawrence, formerly of Papilion, this summer and get into some action with him on Lake Truman and Lake of the Ozarks too.

Keep your head down and REMEMBER.....aimed fire no spray and pray.
    Come home alive for your loved ones. The country is behind you in your efforts.

catman george