Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Skipjack in Mississippi near St. Louis area.

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ramon06 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever caught skipjack this far north in the Mississippi, Illinois or Wabash river? I have always heard and gone south for them. We have several dams on the Miss up my way but have never tried for l may be trying to fish in a bathtub for my efforts. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have never fished the Mississippi but the furthest up the Ohio river I have caught skips is Meldahl Dam which is 500 river miles above the Miss/Ohio confluence and I know some guys who catch them further up.
St Louis is less than 200 from the same spot so I would think skips could easily make it to there.
I'm interested to hear if they do.

...W

#7 · (Edited)
I can vouch for davenport. I used to catch skips from the bank there when I would go to Rock Island, IL. This was back in 2009 though and I haven't been back there since.
I dont think there was large populations of them, I'd just periodically see schools busting shad at the surface, then cast to them. And it was only maybe 3 times out of 12-15 days fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.