skipjack in louisiana?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Swampfox., Nov 21, 2009.

1. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    there was a question asked not to long ago about skipjack in louisiana, well i can now report yes. went to a spot i bass fish to see if i could net some threadfin and what do i find? yep, we got um. wasnt sure how too answer before since i had never personally seen for myself until this morning. just popped in to grab some bait for saturday morning and i noticed action on top of the water. so i grab my sabiki rig and my cast net and i commenced to gettin as many as i could. grabbed several dozen large skips 10 to 12 inches and smaller. bagged four gallon sized bags for the freezer. also got this sac-a-lait on the white rooster tail on the sabiki. plan on hitting poverty point res. at sun up for some early morning blues, fingers crossed. gonna be on a 20 ft hole that i lost a huge one on roughly a year ago. bumper and moosedog, im hittin it hard all day baby, in the rain! a low moving in from the gulf, takin my slikkers with me. to the bitter end you hear me?:wink:

Attached Files:

2. festus

festus New Member

Good looking crappie, Matt, I got a few of those Mon. and Tue. Wish I had four gallons of skippies.

How did your trip to Poverty Point go?

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah those are gizzard shad..Matt I'm sure you know what a tarpon looks like and thats almost exactly what a skipjack looks like..They definitely have them in Louisiana..Last time I was there we caught a mess of them in Lake Salvadore and Lake Cataoutche..The locals in Louisiana called them banana fish..Those gizzard shad will work just as good as skips and so will mullet and I know there is no shortage of mullet down there in Louisiana..

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i agree with the previous two post those def dont look like skips. skips are hard to catch in a cast net, they are so fast they will out run the net hitting the bottom. best way to catch them is on a sabiki rig or a variation of a sabiki rig using curly tail jigs.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    accually, if you want to get nitty gritty, there was threadfin, moon eye, and gizzard shad. they were all in there. i run outta baggs so they got put up together.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Well they all make good bait...

Skipjack have huge mouths and teeth on the top and bottom. Once you've seen one, you won't confuse it with anything else... :wink:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Errmmm Skips ant got teeth but big mouths, mooneye and goldeye have teeth -- Fishes of Mo sources and Freshwater fishes of North America

10. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    heck I would use the crappie for bait, they make for awesome bait...:big_smile:

11. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Matt,

If you find an area that produces Skipjack, please let me know, I'll make a trip southward! :big_smile: They are like gold!

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    this is what we call a skipjack in texas.

Attached Files:

13. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Don't they also call those lady fish? I know they make pretty good goliath grouper and shark bait.

Marty Welder is right, skipjack don't have the teeth but mooneye and goldeye do. I'm suprised Skipeye hasn't found this thread yet.:tounge_out: