Skipjack in Iowa?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by SRWELDON, May 27, 2009.

1. SRWELDON

SRWELDON New Member

State:
    iowa
    It seems like everywhere around Iowa people use skipjack for bait. Are there any in Iowa and if so where and how do you catch them? Or are there any bait shops selling them?:big_smile:

2. SRWELDON

SRWELDON New Member

State:
    iowa
    What I was saying is that every state around Iowa.

3. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey srweldon, :)

I have heard of skipjack and people using them most of my life pretty much. And I have yet to know where to get them or find them. This is making me want to research it. If I find anything I'll come back n let ya know :D

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My copy of "Iowa fish and fishing " says "The skipjack herring was never widely distributed in Iowa. Early records place it generally in the eastern rivers of the state,primarily in the Mississippi. The fish has not taken in the last twenty years and is now thought to be rare or absent."

This copy was copyrited in 1956.

Have a good 1
    just

5. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    We use shad over by Dubuque and I have heard of skipjack but have never seen any. And the shad can be hard to come by too. Some go down south to get them to bring back skipjack to use here in Iowa.

6. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    been doing a bunch of searching/researching and i came up with pretty much the same info. the dams on the miss have greatly diminished the population as well.

7. BigSiouxAngler

BigSiouxAngler New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mooneye is what we commonly refer to skipjack here on the Missouri and Big Sioux Rivers. If this is any help. The livers seem to be the best attractant around here as far as cut-bait goes for the mooneye.

Attached Files: