Skipjack in Georgia

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Cheez, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have never heard of anyone fishing for shipjack in Georgia. Does anyone know if they are available? If so where and how can they be had?
    Thanks

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've never heard of anyone fishin' for 'em in GA either. Makes you wonder if you could find any at the tailraces below some of the dams around here.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a very good point. I can assure you that I will know the answer to that question within days of my move to GA in March

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The reason I asked the question is because a friend of mine says that skipjack are in Georgia. I figured if anyone knew it would be the good folks on here.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i have a few frozen in my freezer.......lol. I don't think skipjack are in any Georgia waters....we have some pretty big gizzard shad though if you can find them. I think skipjack range from the tennesee river, cumberland, and up into the mississippi and ohio.

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Cheez, I believe there are some down at Guntersville so I don't see why they shouldn't be in GA also.

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    reveals many articles about catfishing in Georgia that refer to skipjack for bait, but I did not see where they are coming from. An interesting note, the Alabama record for skipjack was a fish that had been raised in Georgia and placed (legally) in the waters where it was caught, as was the record rainbow trout.:wink:

8. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    i have a good buddy that fishs cut bait he always goes to tn to get it. if there was some here he would prob know.

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey John,,
    Ive spent a lot of time below the dam at Alatoona,,Blue ridge,and Lake Lanier,"Trout fishing on the last two" and never seen any,,, Also I would think they would pile up at lock and dam in Rome if they where on the Coosa, never seen them there eather,, Dont know if we have them or not but ive never seen them..
    Puddle..:confused2:

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Puddle the main reason I started this thread is because a mutual friend of ours had told me that skipjack were present in our state. I have been fishing here for close to 35 years and had never even heard of them. If they are available I want to know where so I can go get some and won't have to go to TN to get them. Still looking but haven't foound them yet. As a matter of fact they have even been hard to come by on the Tennessee River this year so far.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    this is all very disheartening. It looks like I'll be making that drive north once I am living down there is GA. Thanks for all the good info

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    We have plenty of big Gizzard Shad in Georgia. They make great Catfish bait.

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Wow brother I did not mean for this thread to get you down. There are lots of other good catfish baits available in GA.

14. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I know I saw a post on the GON Forum awhile back about somebody catchin' some kind of jack or something in the Chattahoochee below Eufala ...According to what I remember, seemed to be pretty easy summertime fishin'...

15. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    They might have been talking about Chain Pickerel. I'm not sure, but a big ol' Flathead would probably eat them too. :crazy:

16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    LureheadEd, That's a crazy photo you got there for your avatar. :eek:oooh:

17. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Paul, do a search on the GON Freshwater forum for skipjacks...There's a few posts about 'em, not much...
    The avatar pic looks just like my kid on his bike ! It was'nt him, thank goodness, but it seems appropriate... Every time I make a really good jump in life, something comes along to knock my wheels off !!!!... Gets me ready for tomorrow's activities, whatever they may be...
    Hey, I need to pick your brain for a minute. I'm just getting back into jugging, gonna' try at Oconee next week. With this hot weather, should I try up lake in/near the river, or down lake near the dam ?

[​IMG]

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I'm not real sure about Oconee, but I think I would probably try up the river. It's been a long time since I was over there. Some of the other guys might can tell you more. Good Luck!