Skipjack in Fort Campbell area

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Jan 2, 2008.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have just relocated to the Fort Campbell area and was hoping that someone could fill me in on some good skipjack spots in this area. I will be going to the desert real soon and would like to get some winter catfishing in. I would also be interested in buying some if anyone knows where or has extra:smile2:

2. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I'm sorry you relocated to Ft Campbell, no im kidding its an ok place. I was there six years. There is the Cumberland steam plant that has skippies, i was there last monday got bout 60 in 4 hours, some needlefish, and some ppls were catching stripers. We go fishing every tuesday nite out at devils elbow you are more than welcome to come out shoot us msg if you want to.

There is also KY DAM and Barkley Dam. The get together is sat and there is a huge thread in the KY forum with info. Great fishing around here :)

3. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the area like Jazper said Cumberland City at the steamplant was there on Christmas and it was good in the morning. And the bait shop on main st. just off riverside sales skipjacks too.

4. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I have half a freezer full of them. I coudln't see paying for them. I guess if I was in a crunch I would. Heck we are catching skipjack out at devils elbow on lake barkley near cadiz. Its not as fast as the steamplant but you can get them out there as well.

I bet you could probably catch skippies down on riverside drive. Just a guess.

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey everybody thanks for the help. I am not real sure where any of these places are though so if you could post more specific directions that would be great.

Jazper this riverside drive you are talking about is that close to where I am. I have only been here about a day and a half so I am not familar with the area at all.

6. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Yes, follow 41a into clarksville and hang a right at hooters. Thats riverside drive. There is water access there and a boat ramp.

Not sure if you can get them there but would think you could.

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    thanks again brother I will surely give it a try and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I will be heading to cumberland city steam plant saturday morning, if you want to meet somewhere and follow me out there let me know. I leave kinda early. Or if you find your way there I will be the one wearing the black and grey cat winter hat with black and grey coat.

9. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Do you happen toknow the ferry schedule? I hit it about 930 last monday and it went till 10 min till 6pm. Just curious what time it starts.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I went through their at about 5:30 am and people were already starting to line up at the ferry.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes Ranger.... THe Cumberland City Steamplant would be your best bet and closest place to catch numbers of skipjacks. With these colder temps, they should really be burning the coal. The water should be a little warmer and the baitfish should be thick. And of course where there is lots of bait, big fish should be feasting there too. :wink:

12. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    fished at cumblerland steam plant this morning it was cold. line froze up and caught 41 skip jack in about one hour got cold and came home they are in the good right now.

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    With the help of my Ranger buddy Stephens, Jazper, and the rest of the BOC I was able to catch enough skips tonight (cumberland power plant) to get me through with no problems. I am not sure of the numbers but I would guess in the neighborhood of 45-50 in about 1.5 hours. It was not very crowded, only about 15 people down there and most of them were fishing off of the damn. It was quite amazing really. This was actually the first time I had ever fished for skips and it was a very good experience. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT AND PROVIDED WITH ME THE TIPS/INFO!! RLTW

14. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    it was nice to meet some of the kansas and missouri guys that came down to catch skipjack and go to the get to gather at kentucky. they were catching alot of skipjack.